Dietrich anticipates changes in regulatory focus and provides clients real-time, practical advice and guidance.
Dietrich Hoefner is a lawyer in the firm’s Regulatory and Government Practice Group. Dietrich's practice focuses on federal and state administrative and regulatory law, and he represents clients in the energy, natural resources, gaming, and liquor sectors. His experience includes matters related to:
- Regulated and cooperative utilities, including transmission planning, rate-regulation, and complaint cases before state public utilities commissions.
- Environmental permitting, including matters under the Clean Water Act, Clean Air Act, National Environmental Policy Act, the Federal Land Policy and Management Act, the Safe Drinking Water Act (including Underground Injection Control matters), the Endangered Species Act, and various other state and federal environmental laws.
- Public lands, including mining claims, and mineral development.
- Hazardous substances, including matters under the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act, the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act, and the Emergency Planning and Community Right to Know Act (including Toxics Release Inventory matters).
- Wetlands, including waters of the United States issues and Section 404 permitting.
- Renewable energy project permitting and diligence.
- State and federal liquor enforcement regulation, including new licenses, transfers of ownership, defense of state liquor code investigations, license renewals, and other areas relating to the general operation of liquor-licensed businesses.
- State gaming regulation.
Prior to joining the firm, Dietrich was an assistant attorney general fellow at the Colorado Office of the Attorney General, where he worked on energy utility and consumer protection matters. He was also a research fellow at the Silicon Flatirons Center for Law, Technology, and Entrepreneurship, where he focused on energy regulation.
More About Dietrich C. Hoefner
- J.D., University of Colorado Law School, 2013
- A.B., Lafayette College, 2010
- Colorado, 2013
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- Colorado Bar Association Environmental Law Section, Council Member, Legislative Policy Committee Liaison
- Planning Commission, City of Louisville, Colorado, Commissioner
- Colorado Photographic Arts Center, Board Member
- Friends of Chamber Music
- Electric Cooperative Bar Association, Member
- Energy Bar Association, Member
- Colorado Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
Honors & Recognitions
- Best Lawyers in America, "Ones to Watch," Energy Law, Natural Resources Law, 2021
- Press Release, 08/20/2020
- Supreme Court Establishes CWA 'Functional Equivalence' Test for Discharges to GroundwaterRocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation Water Law Newsletter, Vol. 53, No. 2, 07/9/2020,
- Federal Water Quality - WOTUS Rule UpdatesRocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation Water Law Newsletter, Vol. 52, No. 2, 06/1/2019,
- Update on CWA Regulation of Discharges to GroundwaterRocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation Water Law Newsletter, Vol. 52, No.1, 01/1/2019,
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation Water Law Newsletter, Vol. 51, No.2, 10/1/2018,
- Ninth Circuit Holds That Some Discharges into Groundwater Are Regulated by the Clean Water ActRocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation Water Law Newsletter, Vol. 51, No. 1, 2018-03-01,
- PACA Pulse, 06/12/2017,
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation, 2017-03-01,
- Army Corps of Engineers Jurisdictional Determination Reversed on Remand of HawkesRocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation Water Law Newsletter, Vol. 50, No. 1, 2017-03-01,
- Supreme Court Holds That Clean Water Act Jurisdictional Determinations Are Immediately ReviewableRocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation Water Law Newsletter, Vol. 49, No. 3, 2016-11-01,
- EPA Final Rule Revisiting Effluent Limitations Guidelines for Steam Electric Power Plants; Court Challenges ConsolidatedRocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation Water Law Newsletter, Vol. 49, No. 1, 2016-03-01,
- Colorado Real Estate Journal, 2016-02-01,
- Lewis Roca Blog, 07/16/2020,
- Lewis Roca Blog, 06/24/2019
You May Also Like
- Press Release |  08/20/2020
- Client Alert |  07/16/2020
- Blog |  07/16/2020