Dietrich anticipates changes in regulatory focus and provides clients real-time, practical advice and guidance.
Dietrich Hoefner is a partner in the firm’s Regulatory and Government Practice Group. Dietrich focuses on complex regulatory matters for a wide range of clients across numerous industries including energy, utilities, natural resources, and alcoholic beverages. Dietrich is also a member of the firm’s renewable energy decommissioning industry team, focusing on strategies to address and anticipate changing regulations affecting end-of-life issues for renewable energy facilities. His experience includes matters related to:
- Regulated and cooperative utilities, including transmission planning, rate-regulation, and complaint cases before state public utilities commissions.
- Environmental permitting for renewable energy, mining, and industrial projects.
- Development of mining and energy projects on public lands.
- Purchase and sale of properties with significant water, mineral, or other natural resource components.
- Hazardous substances issues related to real estate sales and developments.
- Wetlands issues, including waters of the United States determinations and Clean Water Act Section 404 permitting.
- State and federal liquor licensing and regulation, including new licenses, transfers of ownership, defense of state liquor code investigations, license renewals, and other areas relating to the regulation of liquor-licensed businesses.
Prior to joining the firm, Dietrich was an attorney at the Colorado Office of the Attorney General, where he worked on energy utility and consumer protection matters. He was also a research fellow at the Silicon Flatirons Center for Law, Technology, and Entrepreneurship, where he focused on energy regulation.
More About Dietrich C. Hoefner
- J.D., University of Colorado Law School, 2013
- A.B., Lafayette College, 2010
- Colorado, 2013
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- Colorado Bar Association Environmental Law Section, Secretary-Treasurer, Legislative Policy Committee Liaison
- Planning Commission, City of Louisville, Colorado, Vice-Chair
- Colorado Photographic Arts Center, Board Member, 2017-2020
- Friends of Chamber Music, Board Member
- Electric Cooperative Bar Association, Member
- Energy Bar Association, Member
- Colorado Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
Honors & Recognitions
- Best Lawyers in America, "Ones to Watch," Energy Law, Natural Resources Law, 2021-2022
- Press Release, 01/10/2022
- Firm News, 10/27/2021
- Honors & Recognitions, 08/19/2021
- Press Release, 08/20/2020
- Federal Water QualityAuthor, Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation Water Law Newsletter, Vol. LIV, No. 3, 11/3/2021
- Supreme Court Establishes CWA 'Functional Equivalence' Test for Discharges to GroundwaterRocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation Water Law Newsletter, Vol. 53, No. 2, 07/9/2020,
- Federal Water Quality - WOTUS Rule UpdatesRocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation Water Law Newsletter, Vol. 52, No. 2, 06/1/2019,
- Update on CWA Regulation of Discharges to GroundwaterRocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation Water Law Newsletter, Vol. 52, No.1, 01/1/2019,
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation Water Law Newsletter, Vol. 51, No.2, 10/1/2018,
- Ninth Circuit Holds That Some Discharges into Groundwater Are Regulated by the Clean Water ActRocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation Water Law Newsletter, Vol. 51, No. 1, 2018-03-01,
- PACA Pulse, 06/12/2017,
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation, 2017-03-01,
- Army Corps of Engineers Jurisdictional Determination Reversed on Remand of HawkesRocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation Water Law Newsletter, Vol. 50, No. 1, 2017-03-01,
- Supreme Court Holds That Clean Water Act Jurisdictional Determinations Are Immediately ReviewableRocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation Water Law Newsletter, Vol. 49, No. 3, 2016-11-01,
- EPA Final Rule Revisiting Effluent Limitations Guidelines for Steam Electric Power Plants; Court Challenges ConsolidatedRocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation Water Law Newsletter, Vol. 49, No. 1, 2016-03-01,
- Colorado Real Estate Journal, 2016-02-01,
- Lewis Roca Blog, 01/26/2022
- Lewis Roca Blog, 11/5/2021,
- Arizona Federal Court Vacates The Navigable Waters Protection Rule, EPA and the Army Corps to Redefine “Waters of the United States”Lewis Roca Blog, 09/2/2021
- Lewis Roca Blog, 07/16/2020,
- Lewis Roca Blog, 06/24/2019
- Blog |  01/26/2022
- Press Release |  01/10/2022
- Blog |  11/5/2021