Evolving technologies, regulatory uncertainty, inconsistent demand, and recent global events have combined to create a turbulent environment for participants in this sector. Automation and technology are also driving change at a rapid clip, forcing organizations to quickly grow their business models in order to keep pace.
We understand the complex business and regulatory environment our clients confront daily, and translate that knowledge into legal strategies that enable clients to maintain – and increase – their competitive edge. With advanced degrees in materials science, chemistry, physics, mechanical engineering, and electrical engineering, our lawyers have the experience and technical training to create effective solutions.
Our team includes former engineers and scientists as well as lawyers who were raised in communities where mining and natural resource management is critical. Members of our group have been recognized by the country’s most prestigious legal ranking bodies, including Chambers USA, Benchmark Litigation, and Martindale-Hubbell, as well as publications such as Arizona Business Magazine, Arizona Business Journal, and Nevada Business Magazine.
We implement, protect, and defend our clients’ technological investments via patent, copyright, trademark, and trade secret protections. Clients rely on our government relations counsel to navigate complicated federal, state, and municipal legislation, allowing them to stay focused on what matters: keeping their operations running.
Lewis Roca’s capabilities are broad enough to meet virtually all of our clients’ needs. When required, our mining team utilizes the firm’s deep bench of talent, calling on colleagues with strength in environmental and water law, civil litigation, financing, commercial, bankruptcy, and mergers and acquisitions to deliver efficient, cost-effective solutions. In the event that conflicts arise, our litigators confidently handle intellectual property and product liability matters.
Our services include:
- Corporate transactions
- Environmental law
- Government relations
- Insurance law
- Intellectual property
- Labor and employment
- Product liability
- Real estate
- Regulatory compliance
- Water rights
Notable experience includes:
- Plastics Manufacturer. Represented the seller of a high-tech plastics manufacturer to a public company, featuring escrow of retention bonus. We previously represented the seller in the establishment of joint ventures in Brazil, Ireland, and Asia and growth through purchase of assets.
- Utilities Applications Company. Brought an action for breach of contract and trade secret misappropriation relating to fiberglass reinforced pipe design and manufacturer for water and sewer applications, which resulted in success on all claims.
- Retail Manufacturer. Advised numerous retail and manufacturing companies in defending claims brought by patent monetization organizations.
- Industrial Manufacturer. Counseled a manufacturer in an industrial wastewater notice of violation; obtained a 97 percent reduction in the amount of the fine.
- Semiconductor Company. Representing the purchasers of a specialty manufacturer of semiconductor components and related purchase money debt and equity financings, as well as the subsequent $38 million merger of the manufacturing company with and into the subsidiary of a public company.
- Canadian Mining Company. Represented a Canadian mining company as local counsel in its acquisition of a significant new copper mine in southern Arizona, which involved the review of mineral and real property holdings, review and analysis of National Environmental Policy Act process and Section 404 permit application, review of air quality and aquifer protection permits and appeals of same, and other legal issues involved in the development of the project.
- Copper Mining Company. Led a multidisciplinary team to acquire an abandoned copper mine with significant remaining resources. We helped obtain water rights; performed due diligence regarding the scope of environmental issues; and conducted extensive negotiations with the EPA, the Nevada Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, the Bureau of Land Management, the Department of Interior, two Native American tribes, multiple local officials, and private entity responsible parties.
Latest from Lewis Roca
- Webinar |  06/29/2021
- Press Release |  04/16/2021
- Honors & Recognitions |  04/8/2021