Clients trust Ken’s extensive experience and technical knowledge to provide practical, business-minded solutions that lead to positive outcomes.
"They understand our business very well, they understand our concerns. It's a symbiotic relationship."
- Chambers USA
As Managing Partner of Lewis Roca, Ken guides the strategic direction of the firm and focuses on developing innovative approaches to client service and value that enhance Lewis Roca’s long-standing reputation of excellence. Ken has created a collaborative platform that provides the firm’s lawyers and legal professionals with the resources they need to showcase the firm’s legal services to the market.
As a practicing lawyer, Ken is a member of the firm's Real Estate Practice Group and focuses his practice on real estate equity and debt financing, joint venture development, sales and acquisitions, and leasing. Ken represents clients in a variety of real estate finance transactions, including equity joint venture development transactions, mortgage based lending, and leasehold mortgage transactions. Most of his work involves representation of institutional clients, including insurance companies and REIT’S as well as investors and developers.
Ken has a particular focus on ground up development work for investors. He has represented clients in developing, financing, acquiring, and disposing of multifamily, commercial, retail, and industrial real estate, both developed and undeveloped on a national, regional, and local scale. He has experience handling the venturing and purchase and sale of multifamily, retail centers, office complexes, industrial buildings, and residential land developments.
In the area of Real Estate leasing, Ken has represented several restaurant chains in connection with their leasing agreements, licensure issues, and disputes on a local, regional, and national scale. His experience has provided extensive exposure to the requirements and posture of many local, regional, and national retail landlords.
As a highly effective communicator, Ken can establish relationships of trust with clients and deal constituents. Clients and peers value his skills at de-escalating transaction pressure points and finding solutions that produce mutually beneficial results. Ken is consistently committed to the task at hand, and clients trust him to anticipate issues, identify solutions, and navigate around impediments to expeditiously and efficiently achieve their specific goals. Ken’s collaborative, client service-focused approach ensures that clients are always heard no matter the size of the matter at stake.
Ken enjoys outdoor sports, including running, sailing, skiing, and cycling.
More About Kenneth Van Winkle, Jr.
- J.D., University of Cincinnati College of Law, Order of the Coif, 1987, Research Editor, Law Review
- B.A., magna cum laude, Texas Tech University, 1984
- Arizona, 1987
- Arizona Super Bowl Host Committee
- Greater Phoenix Leadership, Member and General Counsel
- Downtown Phoenix Inc., Board Member
- Banner Health Foundation, Board Member and Former Chair
- TerraLex, Board of Directors, Member
- Represent RED Development in the joint venture equity financing of a large mixed use retail, multifamily and commercial project on the last undeveloped block in downtown Phoenix
- Represent PGIM in the acquisition of an interest in a portfolio of industrial properties throughout the US through a joint venture equity acquisition transaction
- Represent Extra Space Storage, a national self-storage facility REIT, in a variety of equity, debt and acquisition transactions throughout the US
- Represent American Airlines in connection with their airport leasing and licensing, throughout the world
Honors & Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate Law, 2006-2024
- Chambers USA, Real Estate Law, 2003-2023
- Southwest Super Lawyers, Real Estate, 2021, 2023
- AZ Business Leaders, 2014-2019
- Martindale-Hubbell, "AV/Preeminent Attorney" Rating
- Super Lawyers Corporate Counsel, 2007-2004, 2016
- Department of Defense Patriot Award, 2013
- Arizona's Finest Lawyers, 2011-2012
- AZ Business Magazine, Top Lawyers, Construction & Real Estate Law, 2010
- Four Lewis Roca Lawyers Named AZBusiness Leaders 2020AZBusiness, 11/22/2019
- Honors & Recognitions, 08/17/2023
- Honors & Recognitions, 06/5/2023
- Honors & Recognitions, 04/6/2023
- Honors & Recognitions, 08/18/2022
- Firm News, 08/17/2022
- Honors & Recognitions, 06/1/2022
- Honors & Recognitions, 08/19/2021
- Honors & Recognitions, 05/20/2021
- Honors & Recognitions, 04/8/2021
- Press Release, 03/23/2021
- Press Release, 08/20/2020
- Press Release, 04/24/2020
- Press Release, 08/15/2019
- Press Release, 06/3/2019
- Honors & Recognitions, 04/25/2019
- Media Mentions, 09/18/2018
- Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie Forms Innovative Alliance to Address Data Protection and CybersecurityPress Release, 09/12/2018
- Press Release, 08/15/2018
- Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie Announces New Leaders of Litigation and Intellectual Property Practice GroupsPress Release, 05/31/2018
- Honors & Recognitions, 05/3/2018
- Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie Lawyers Recognized as 2018 Southwest Super Lawyers® and Southwest Rising Stars®Honors & Recognitions, 04/23/2018
- Press Release, 08/15/2017
- Honors & Recognitions, 05/31/2017
- Press Release, 04/11/2017
- Honors & Recognitions, 11/1/2016
- Honors & Recognitions, 08/15/2016
- Honors & Recognitions, 5/27/2016
- Press Release, 04/12/2016
- Press Release, 03/22/2016
- Press Release, 01/4/2016
- Quoted, Legal Dive , 02/23/2023
- Law.com Trendspotter: Mergers and Rate Hikes Are Poised to Create a Whole New Crop of Law FirmsQuoted, Law.com, 01/31/2023
- Bloomberg Law, 11/29/2021
- Law360 Pulse, 08/16/2021
- Phoenix Business Journal, 07/29/2021
- Create Better Service Models, Address Associate Attrition, Communicate with Clients & Enhance MentoringOf Counsel, 01/1/2019,
- Law Week Colorado, 10/1/2018,
- Honors & Recognitions |  08/17/2023
- Honors & Recognitions |  06/5/2023
- Honors & Recognitions |  04/6/2023