Art Hasan is a partner in the firm's Intellectual Property Practice Group. Art focuses on the protection, licensing, and enforcement of intellectual property rights for a significant number of U.S.-based and international clients.
Art has more than 20 years of experience in IP law. His extensive experience includes litigation, patent and trademark prosecution and portfolio development, licensing, and counseling. He has litigated numerous patent, trademark, trade secret, and unfair competition-related matters throughout the United States.
In addition to providing opinions related to patentability, infringement, validity, and enforceability of patents, Art has testified as a defense patent non-infringement expert witness in jury trials. He has also supervised design around efforts, worldwide prior art searches, validity investigations, and development of intellectual property portfolios for numerous companies in diverse technical fields.
More About Art Hasan
- J.D., University of Southern California, Gould School of Law, 1993
- B.S., Electrical Engineering, University of California, Los Angeles, 1990
- California, 1993
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- California Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- Los Angeles Intellectual Property Law Association LAIPLA, Member
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Member
- Pasadena Bar Association, Member
- Modern Telecom Systems, LLC v. TCL Corporation, TCL Communication Inc., TCL Communication Technology Holdings Limited, TCT Mobile, Inc., TCT Mobile (US) Inc., and TCT Mobile (US) Holdings, Inc. (D. Del. 2017) - Representing defendants in patent infringement lawsuit concerning line probing techniques used in data communication systems.
- American Customer Satisfaction Index, LLC v. Genesys Telecommunications Laboratories, Inc. and Interactive Intelligence, Inc. (E.D. MI 2017) – Representing defendants in trademark infringement, unfair competition, and dilution lawsuit.
- Interactive Intelligence, Inc. v. Avaya, Inc. (S.D. IN 2016) – Representing plaintiff in declaratory judgment lawsuit and arbitration proceedings concerning patent misuse and antitrust claims.
- Clim-A-Tech Industries, Inc. v. William A. Ebert and Sunwest Supply, Inc. (D. AZ 2015) – Representing plaintiff in declaratory judgment lawsuit of patent non-infringement and invalidity concerning cathode plate edge protector systems used in electrowinning processes.
- KW-2, LLC v. Asus Computer International, ASUSTek Computer, Inc., Hewlett-Packard Inc., and Dell Inc. (D. Col. 2015) - Representing defendants in patent infringement lawsuit concerning secondary lithium ion batteries for portable computers and other electronic devices.
- Samsung SDI Co., Ltd., ASUS Computer International, ASUSTeK Computer Inc., HP Inc. and Dell Inc. v. RYUJIN Patent & Licensing Ltd. (PTAB 2015) - Representing Petitioners in post grant Inter Partes Review proceedings.
- Kiss Nail Products, Inc. v. Tianjin Shuangrong Paper Products Co., Ltd. and Shuang Rong America, LLC (S.D. N.Y. 2015) - Representing defendants in lawsuit concerning adhesives and release liners for cosmetic nail products.
- Pragmatus Telecom, LLC v. Genesys Telecommunications Laboratories, Inc., TouchCommerce Inc., Interactive Intelligence Inc., Aspect Software Inc., InContact Inc., and LiveOps Inc. (D. Del. 2014) – Represented defendant Genesys Telecommunications Laboratories, Inc. in complex patent infringement suit involving software for contact center management. Participated in joint defense group with multiple counsel representing co-defendants.
- Bright Response, LLC v. Genesys Telecommunications Laboratories, Inc. (E.D. Tex. 2014) Successfully settled suit brought by patent monetizing entity against defendant.
- Advanced RF Technologies, Inc. v. Axell Wireless Ltd. (C.D. Cal. 2012) – Successfully settled suit on behalf of defendant accused of infringing patent directed to broadband RF repeater systems.
- Electric Power Group, LLC v. Alstom, S.A., Alstom Grid, Inc., Psymetrix Ltd., and Alstom Limited (C.D. Cal. 2012) – Representing plaintiff in complex patent infringement suit involving computer systems for monitoring the electric power grid.
- HSN Inc. v. Genesys Telecommunications Laboratories, Inc. (D. Del. 2012)
- Elavon Inc. v. Genesys Telecommunications Laboratories, Inc. (D. Del. 2012) – Represented Genesys Telecommunications Laboratories, Inc. in defense and successful settlement of customer indemnification actions.
- NFF Inventions, LLC v. CTI Foods Acquisition LLC, CTI Foods Holding Co., LLC, S&S Foods LLC, CTI Saginaw I, LLC, CTI Arlington, LLC and CTI-SSI Food Services, LLC (C.D. Cal. 2012) Served as local counsel for defendants in successful defense of suit involving food processing technology.
- NYKO Technologies, Inc. v. Energizer Holdings, Inc., Eveready Battery Company, Inc., and Performance Designed Products LLC (C.D. Cal. 2012) Represented plaintiff in patent infringement suit involving video game controller charging systems.
- Microlog Corp. v. Cisco Systems, Inc., Aspect Software, Inc., RightNow Technologies, Inc., Moxie Software, Inc., Contact Solutions, Inc., Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company, Stonebridge Life Insurance Company, Genesys Telecommunications Laboratories, Inc., and Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company (E.D. Tex. 2011) – Successfully settled suit on behalf of defendant Genesys Telecommunications Laboratories, Inc. in suit involving contact center ACD software.
- Avtech Corporation v. Day-Ray Products, Inc. (C.D. Cal. 2010) – Successfully sought and obtained change of venue on behalf of defendant from Washington to Southern California in suit involving electronic lighting ballasts for commercial aircraft; plaintiff dismissed suit on its own accord following venue change.
- Human Touch, LLC fka Interactive Health, LLC and Daito Denki Kogyu K.K., d/b/a DAITO Electric Machine Industry Company, Ltd.,v. KingKong USA, Inc. American Lighting Industry, Inc., Bernard Koay (C.D. Cal. 2008) – Obtained multimillion dollar verdict of trademark infringement in favor of plaintiff Human Touch, LLC following two week jury trial.
- Human Touch, LLC v. Healthfirst LLC, WFO Imports, LLC and Blair Hayes (C.D. Cal. 2008) – Obtained multimillion dollar verdict for patent infringement in favor of plaintiff Human Touch, LLC following two week jury trial.
- Jens Erik Sorensen, as Trustee of Sorensen Research and Development Trust, v. Human Touch LLC, Interactive Health, Inc., and Does 1-100 (S.D. Cal. 2008) Successfully settled suit on behalf of defendant in suit involving massage chair technology.
- LecTec Corporation v. Chattem, Inc.; Endo Pharmaceuticals, Inc.; Johnson & Johnson Consumer Company, Inc.; The Mentholatum Company, Inc.; and Prince of Peace Enterprises, Inc. (E.D. Tex. 2008) – Achieved highly favorable settlement on behalf of defendant Prince of Peace Enterprises, Inc. in suit involving analgesic skin patch technology; participated in joint defense group with multiple law firms representing co-defendants.
- Nintendo of America, Inc. v. NYKO Technologies, Inc. (W.D. Wash. 2008) – Achieved favorable settlement for defendant NYKO Technologies, Inc. in design patent infringement suit involving video game controllers following challenge to plaintiff's standing to bring suit.
- Advanced Card Technologies LLC v. Harvard Label, Inc. and Gemini Card LLC (W.D. Okla. 2007) – Negotiated highly favorable settlement in favor of defendant Harvard Label, Inc. following motions challenging standing and venue.
- Phantom II, LLC v. Lego Systems, Inc. (C.D. Cal. 2007) – Achieved highly favorable settlement for plaintiff Phantom II, LLC in patent infringement suit involving robotic toy technology.
- Barry Fiala, Inc. v. Harvard Label, Inc. (W.D. Tenn. 2006) – Achieved highly favorable settlement in favor of defendant Harvard Label, Inc. in patent infringement suit involving gift card technology.
- Freedom Wave LLC v. Mad Catz, Inc., NYKO Technologies, Inc., and Logitech, Inc. (C.D. Cal. 2006) – Negotiated favorable settlement for defendant NYKO Technologies, Inc. in patent infringement suit involving video game controller technology.
- Mediafour Corporation v. NYKO Technologies, Inc. (D.C. Iowa 2006) – Negotiated favorable settlement for defendant NYKO Technologies, Inc. in patent infringement suit involving video game controller technology.
- Interactive Health, LLC v. Finger-Fitting Products, Inc. (C.D. Cal. 2003) Represented plaintiff in successful patent infringement suit involving hand massage technology.
- Alcatel Internetworking, Inc. v. Internet Machines Corporation (Cal. 2000) – Negotiated successful settlement in favor of plaintiff Alcatel Internetworking, Inc. in trade secret misappropriation suit.
- IMS Technology, Inc. v. Gene Francis Haas and Haas Automation, Inc. (E.D. Va. 1997) – Obtained summary judgment of non-infringement in patent suit involving machine tool controls.
- Super Health Institute Inc. v. Super Nu-Life Products, Inc., Goldenrise Development, Samuel Liu, Lingna Li, and Does 1 through 20 (C.D. Cal. 1996) – Obtained $20 million jury verdict for Plaintiff Super Health Institute Inc. in a trademark infringement suit following three week jury trial.
Honors & Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America, Litigation - Intellectual Property, 2020-2021
- Press Release, 08/20/2020
- Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie Announces New Leaders of Litigation and Intellectual Property Practice Groups05/31/2018
- Press Release, 03/31/2016
- Federal Circuit Clarifies Potential Path for Arguing Subject Matter Eligibility of Software Patents Based on a Novelty-Type Analysis, 06/30/2016,
- Passage Of United Kingdom Referendum To Exit The European Union Not Expected To Immediately Affect Intellectual Property Rights06/24/2016,
- Lewis Roca Blog, 03/13/2020
- U.S. Supreme Court Issues Ruling Substantially Curtailing Available Venue for Patent Infringement Actions - IP BlogLewis Roca Blog, 05/22/2017
- Artificial Intelligence and Robotics
- Computer Systems and Software
- Energy Storage Systems
- Sports, Entertainment, and Recreation
- Medical Devices
- Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences
- Biotechnology and Pharmaceutical
- Fashion and Apparel
- Manufacturing, Machinery, and Equipment
- Chemicals and Polymers
- Energy and Utilities
- Health Care and Life Sciences
- Mining and Manufacturing
- Mining and Minerals
- Restaurants, Retail, and Hospitality
- Science and Technology
You May Also Like
- Press Release |  08/20/2020
- Blog |  03/13/2020