Technological and scientific innovations transform our lives on a daily basis. Creators and researchers must not only protect their inventions and discoveries, but also maximize their impact and stay in compliance with an evolving regulatory environment.
That’s where our cross-disciplinary team is your greatest asset. We understand the unique challenges our clients face at every stage of the life cycle and offer the right mix of experience to address a broad range of legal needs, from complex intellectual property to tax, transactional, litigation, data privacy and security, and regulatory issues.
Our lawyers bring to bear proven capabilities throughout the science and technology arena. We have earned national recognition from leading legal industry organizations, including AV Preeminent® rankings from Martindale-Hubbell, the Leaders in Law Award from the Los Angeles Business Journal, and the Client Choice Award from Lexology.
Lewis Roca couples an in-depth understanding of our clients’ business needs, regulatory and political circumstances, and market positioning with time-tested legal acumen to provide practical solutions. Individuals, companies, laboratories, and research institutions in the science and technology space turn to us for the strategic counsel they need to thrive.
- Forming and structuring business entities
- Informatics and cybersecurity
- Product Liability
- Intellectual property services, including patents, trademarks, licensing, copyrights, licensing, trade secrets, unfair competition, and non-competes
- International business services
- Regulatory compliance and government relations
- Telecom Company. Prosecuted, negotiated, and sold a telecom patent relating to communication technology and, more particularly, to a self-synchronizing adaptive multistage receiver for wireless communication systems for a prominent telecom industry figure.
- Internet Companies. Represented leading internet companies in consolidated patent infringement actions related to distributed processing technology. Obtained judgment on the pleadings invalidating all three asserted patents for claiming unpatentable subject matter; the judgment was affirmed by the federal circuit.
- Defense Company. Procuring and managing a significant patent portfolio for a large defense company related to radars, object recognition, artificial intelligence, and signal processing.
- Robotic Toy Company. Achieved a highly favorable settlement for plaintiff in a patent infringement suit involving robotic toy technology.
- Customer Experience Company. Represented the defendant, a customer experience company, in a complex patent infringement suit involving software for contact center management. Participated in a joint defense group with multiple counsel representing the co-defendants.
- Software Company. Successfully prosecuted several software-related patent applications through issuance after being rejected as “abstract ideas” under the United States Supreme Court decision in the landmark Alice Corp. case.
- Software Company. Served as lead trial counsel for a software development company in connection with breach of contract and related claims involving transfer of software publishing agreement. A $1.8 million jury verdict in favor of our client was returned, and amended judgment was affirmed on appeal and paid.
- Hardware Company. Successfully defended a major Taiwanese company in a patent infringement dispute involving computer drive accessories.
- Battery Distributors. Served as patent counsel for the defendant distributors of lithium-ion batteries used in portable computers and other electronic devices, resulting in a motion to dismiss.
Latest from Lewis Roca
- Firm News |  05/4/2022
- Webinar |  06/29/2021
- Honors & Recognitions |  04/8/2021