Ogonna is a problem solver. There is nothing she enjoys more than collaborating with her clients to solve their most challenging issues.
Ogonna Brown is a partner in the firm's Litigation and Bankruptcy and Creditors' Rights practice groups. Ogonna is a practically-minded business lawyer with years of high-stakes experience, focusing her practice on creditors’ rights, secured party representation, commercial litigation, and bankruptcy litigation. She has extensive experience representing bankruptcy trustees and state court receivers. She collaborates with all of her clients to fashion creative solutions and efficient results in complex litigation matters in and out of bankruptcy.
Ogonna’s well-rounded practice includes breach of contract cases, protecting creditors’ rights in bankruptcy cases, deficiency actions, landlord tenant matters, enforcement of judgments, and partnership disputes, along with recent experience over the last few years representing a charter school receiver, the first ever appointed by the SPCSA in the State of Nevada. She takes pride in her hard work ethic, accessibility to clients and quick turnaround to meet each client’s needs, understanding that no two cases are exactly alike.
Clients seek Ogonna’s help with complex business and bankruptcy disputes, and she often appears in both state and bankruptcy court for the same case when one of the parties seeks bankruptcy relief, resulting in efficiency for her clients. Ogonna’s bankruptcy practice includes motions to terminate the automatic stay under 11 U.S.C. § 362, motions to dismiss or convert bankruptcy cases, defending claim objections, oppositions to plans of reorganization, motions to protect her clients’ cash collateral, and objecting to the dischargeability of creditor’s debts under 11 U.S.C. § 523.
Ogonna was a judicial law clerk to the Honorable Johnnie B. Rawlinson, United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, 2001-2002. She was a lawyer representative to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals from 2014 through 2016. During this time, she served as lawyer representative co-chair of the Nevada Delegation and member of the Lawyer Representative Coordinating Committee, District Conference Planning Committee, and the Attorney Admission Fund Advisory Group Committee. While serving as a lawyer representative, Ogonna assisted the bankruptcy judges with presentations for the bankruptcy breakout sessions at the judicial district conferences and attended and participated with the program for the Ninth Circuit judicial conferences.
Ogonna was recently appointed by Nevada Governor Sisolak to serve as a member of the Nevada Gaming Commission in July 2020 for a four-year term.
When faced with an issue, Ogonna can’t help but provide a creative solution. Problem solving is in her DNA. Throughout every step of a case, Ogonna’s clients trust that she has already anticipated potential issues and come up with solutions even before a problem arises.
While Ogonna takes her work seriously, she doesn’t take herself seriously and is quick to bring humor to bring levity to sometime tense situations. She is an extrovert and natural relationship builder. Collaborating with her colleagues to bring her clients the best resources is one of her favorite parts of the job. Her colleagues and clients appreciate her tenacity, energy, and responsiveness because they know they can count on her to get results.
Mentoring up-and-coming lawyers and pro bono work are two of Ogonna’s passions. When she has the rare break in cases, she can be found traveling to a gorgeous, tropical beach somewhere in the world, hiking to explore Nevada’s beautiful landscape, or enjoying a dinner out at one of her favorite restaurants.
More About Ogonna M. Brown
- J.D., University of Nevada, Las Vegas, William S. Boyd School of Law, 2001
- B.A., University of Nevada, Las Vegas, 1998
- Nevada, 2001
- U.S. District Court, District of Nevada
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- State Bar of Nevada, Member
- Nevada Gaming Commission, Member
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Member, 2013-present
- Nevada Trial Lawyers Association
- Clark County Bar Association
- Girl Scouts of Southern Nevada, Dessert Before Dinner, Honoree, 2022
- William S. Boyd School of Law, University of Nevada Las Vegas, "Law Alumni Leadership Circle" 2016-present, "Student Mentor Program," Speaker, "Judge Moot Court Competition" 2003-present
- Legal Aid of Southern Nevada, Pro Bono Advisory Council Member, 2013-present
- Southern Nevada Association of Bankruptcy Attorneys, Former Officer and Board Member, Current Member, 2003-present
- Howard D. McKibben Inn of Court, Barrister and Co-chair for Annual Presentation, 2006-present
- Shade Tree, Charity, 2001-present
- Goodwill of Southern Nevada in Las Vegas, 2001-present
- Big Brothers and Sisters of Southern Nevada, 2001-present
- Magistrate Judge Reinstatement Panel (Judge Koppe), Member, 2020
- Merit Screening Committee for Bankruptcy Judge for the District of Nevada, 2019
- Magistrate Judge Merit Selection Panel (Judge Foley and Judge Hoffman), Member, 2018-2019
- Clark County Board of Equalization, 2016-2017
- Community Development Advisory Committee, 2015-2017
- Nevada Bar Association, President of the Bankruptcy Section, 2013-2014
Honors & Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2022-2023; Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2023
- Vegas Inc., Top Lawyers, Bankruptcy, 2021-2022
- Mountain States Super Lawyers, Bankruptcy: Business, 2010-2022, Top 50 Women Mountain States Super Lawyers, 2020
- Clark County Law Foundation Liberty Bell Award, 2020
- Lawdragon, Top 500 U.S. Bankruptcy and Restructuring Lawyers List, 2020
- American College of Bankruptcy, Fellow, 2018-present
- Martindale Hubbell, AV Rating, 2016-present
- University of Nevada, Las Vegas, Distinguished Service Alumni Award, 2016
- Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada, Pro Bono Attorney of the Year, 2015
- Nevada Business Magazine, Southern Nevada's Top Attorneys, 2013-2015
- Honorable Johnie B. Rawlinson, United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- Press Release, 09/27/2022
- Honors & Recognitions, 08/30/2022
- Honors & Recognitions, 08/18/2022
- Lewis Roca Announces 16 Lawyers Named 2022 Mountain States Super Lawyers® and Mountain States Rising Stars®Honors & Recognitions, 07/12/2022
- Honors & Recognitions, 08/19/2021
- Lewis Roca Announces 18 Lawyers Named 2021 Mountain States Super Lawyers® and Mountain States Rising Stars®Honors & Recognitions, 07/13/2021
- Press Release, 11/19/2020
- Press Release, 07/28/2020
- Susan Freeman and Ogonna Brown Named to Lawdragon Top 500 U.S. Bankruptcy and Restructuring Lawyers List, 2020Firm News, 07/24/2020
- Lewis Roca Lawyers Recognized as 2020 Mountain States Super Lawyers® and Mountain States Rising Stars®Press Release, 06/15/2020
- Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie Attorneys Recognized as 2019 Mountain States Lawyers® and Mountain States Rising Stars®Honors & Recognitions, 05/31/2019
- Press Release, 08/2/2018
- Nevada Lawyer, 7/2022
- Nevada Gaming Lawyer, 9/2021,
- Nevada Lawyer, 10/12/2020
- InBusiness, 04/23/2020
- Panelist, "Strategy and Gamesmanship in Bankruptcy," American College of Bankruptcy, Denver Conference, 2022
- Press Release |  09/27/2022
- Honors & Recognitions |  08/30/2022
- Honors & Recognitions |  08/18/2022