Lewis Roca lawyers regularly litigate business tort claims involving fraud and misrepresentation, unfair competition, breach of fiduciary duties, fraudulent transfer, theft, interference with contracts and business relationships (including misappropriation of trade secrets), and business asset dispositions. We are skilled in evaluating both the complex legal issues at stake and the potential remedies and damages involved in these disputes. We are highly experienced in cases involving complex issues of causation and damages.
No matter what the issue, we’ll advise you on the range of tort remedies that may be available and pursue the most favorable strategy. If you need a temporary injunction quickly, we’ll target the right court for the most efficient response. The litigators in our offices are highly experienced in securing TROs – sometimes in a matter of hours. For example, litigators in our Las Vegas office have obtained TROs on behalf of companies that have discovered, while attending one of the many trade shows held annually in the city, that their patents, trademarks or copyrights have been infringed.
Business dispositions and dissolutions typically involve strong-minded individuals who are unable to reach an amicable resolution on the division of their business assets. If you face such a controversy, rely on Lewis Roca lawyers who are experienced in contested business dissolution cases involving the members of limited liability companies, limited partnerships, S corporations, and a variety of other entities. Such cases often involve allegations of breach of fiduciary duty, theft or concealment of business assets, and similar business torts, and we apply a full range of skills, from forensic financial investigation to complex tax analysis, to resolve them effectively. Our goal when we represent you in any such dispute is to combine an efficient liquidation of assets with a settlement of outstanding claims in the most efficient way possible.
The range of tort issues we have handled is illustrated by these recent successfully resolved cases:
- Obtained judgment exceeding $12 million for tortious interference with an existing supply contract between a gravel pit operator and a concrete producer
- Successfully sued the National Hot Rod Association for damages resulting from their unfair competition in terminating the Pro Stock Truck racing class
- Defended a client accused of cybersquatting, which resulted in the arbitration panel finding that the other side was guilty of reverse domain name hijacking
- Representation of Fortune 100 company against claims that it had wrongfully induced sales representatives throughout the country to drop their existing lines in favor of the company
- Represented a law firm against a former employee/current competitor who took client files, payments on accounts receivable, and client accounts to start up a new business. The complaint alleges conversion, tortious interference with contract, and trade defamation
- Represented home developer client who sold business to a national home developer, but was retained as an officer and employee. The national developer sued our client for various things, including usurpation of corporate opportunity and other breaches of fiduciary duty
- Obtained summary judgment of patent invalidity and unenforceability for client accused of infringing a patent relating to casino signage
- Dozens of successful outcomes in cases involving alleged theft of trade secrets, fraudulent conveyance, unfair competition, and breaches of fiduciary duty
Latest from Lewis Roca
- Webinar |  06/29/2021
- Honors & Recognitions |  04/8/2021
- Press Release |  11/5/2020