John Bragonje is a partner in the firm’s Litigation Practice Group. His practice has particular emphasis on complex corporate business litigation, arbitration, and mediation, including the representation of individual and corporate clients in the areas of commercial, construction, real estate, and fiduciary litigation.
John routinely represents persons involved in real estate transactions and construction, including lenders, owners, private equity firms, landlords, tenants, developers, title insurers, contractors, and materials suppliers. He has litigated all manner of construction projects: a 1160 MW power plant, a NASCAR track expansion, freeway construction, a USAF munitions facility, a bridge, casinos, a broad range of multifamily and commercial projects, loan deficiency claims, mechanics' lien claims (including several multimillion-dollar lien-priority disputes), and Miller Act claims. Between 2010 and 2015, John was counsel to hundreds of condo unit owners in the In re: CityCenter Construction and Lien Master Litigation, which grew out of one of the largest private construction projects in the county’s history and is regarded as among the most complex construction law cases in Nevada history. John represented a client with a $35 million claim in the Fontainebleau litigation, the latest Nevada construction mega case.
John also has significant experience representing national and regional banks, including successfully invoking laws that protect successor banks that acquire assets on the secondary market following originating banks’ failures; enforcing debt instruments; prosecuting deficiency actions following foreclosure; and executing judgments to collect debt. He also regularly represents court-appointed receivers, including the sale of assets out of receivership.
John's practice also includes representation of clients in complex civil litigation matters related to technology, including gaming technology and debt enforcement. He also litigates tort issues, including defending and prosecuting business torts, as well as personal injury claims. His practice also encompasses transactional work, including contract drafting and review, advising corporate clients regarding franchise, distributorship, general corporate matters, warranty law, and representation before government agencies such as the Nevada State Contractors Board and the Las Vegas area real estate tax authority.
While attending law school, John was a legal extern to the Honorable Norman H. Jackson, Utah Court of Appeals and the Honorable Anthony W. Schofield, Utah Fourth Judicial District. He was also an executive editor for the BYU Journal of Public Law.
More About John E. Bragonje
- J.D., cum laude, Brigham Young University, J. Reuben Clark Law School, 2005
- B.A., magna cum laude, Brigham Young University, 2001
- Nevada, 2005
- Clark County Bar Association, Member
- State Bar of Nevada's Southern Disciplinary Board, Member
- Detwiler v. Dist. Ct., 137 Nev. 202, 486 P.3d 710 (2021) (affirming judgment in favor of bank following trial for contempt where judgment debtor and his co-conspirators attempted to hide assets through fraudulent transfers).
- Familian Prods., LLC v. KHT Holdings, LLC, No. 83520-COA (Nev. Ct. App. Nov. 22, 2022) (reversing summary judgment related to enforcement of restrictive covenants at industrial park).
- Jia Jia USA LLC v. GBS Business Corp., No.: 2:19-cv-02212, Doc. Nos. 1, 35 (D. Nev. Jun. 19, 2020) (effected return of millions of dollars’ worth of client’s residential properties by quieting title where the defendant realtors/property managers had misappropriated the properties after years of dealings between the parties with minimal documentation).
- Silver State Wellness LLC adv. DB Prods. Nev., LLC, No. A-20-820734-B, Doc. No. 9 (Dist. Ct., Clark County, Nev. Nov. 11, 2022) (negotiated favorable settlement after asserting counterclaims that exposed the original lawsuit as a pretext to cover fraud and misappropriate partnership property and opportunities).
- Branch Banking and Trust Co. v. Nevada Title Co., No. 2:10–CV–1970, 2011 WL 1399810 (D. Nev. April 13, 2011) (obtained dismissal of all claims against defendant Commonwealth Land Title Insurance Company where plaintiff claimed breach of a title policy and tens of millions of dollars in damages).
- CML-NV DC, LLC adv. NCS Construction, LLC, No. A-10-629874-C (Dist. Ct., Clark County, Nev. Dec. 6, 2011) (obtained declaratory relief recognizing equitable replacement mortgage, thus establishing that a lender’s $11.3 million trust deed had priority over a general contractor’s $1 million mechanics’ lien).
- LNV Corp. v. Flangas (Dist. Ct., Clark County, Nev. Dec. 18, 2012) (obtained $1.9 million judgment against a loan guarantor).
- LPP Mortgage, Ltd. adv. The Crossing at Purple Sage et al., No. A-12-656791-C (Dist. Ct., Clark County Nev. Sept. 24, 2013) (won summary judgment of lender liability lawsuit for a national bank affiliate).
- Schreck et al. adv. Affinity Network, Inc., No. 60355, 2013 WL 7155071 (Nev. S. Ct. Oct. 31, 2013) (won appeal in the Nevada Supreme Court confirming clients’ motions to dismiss based on lack of personal jurisdiction).
- Ergon Asphalt and Emulsions, Inc. v. Capriati Constr. Corp., Inc., No. 2:13-cv-1683-GMN-NJK, 2015 WL 1959851 (D. Nev. April 29, 2015) (won judgment against contractor and bonding company in relation to a freeway expansion project).
Honors & Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America, Arbitration, Commercial Litigation, 2024
- Vegas Inc., Top Lawyers, Business Litigation, 2023, Personal Injury, 2023
Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada 2022 Honor Club
Nevada Business Magazine, Southern Nevada's Top Ranked Attorneys, 2022
- Mountain States Super Lawyers, Top 100 List, Construction Litigation: Business, 2009-2023
- Nevada Business Magazine, Legal Elite, Southern Nevada's Best, Top 150, 2012; Top 100, 2009, 2011; Litigation, Real Estate and Construction Litigation, 2013-2016, 2018-2021
- John P. Frank Pro Bono Awards Luncheon, Recognized for commitment, Pro bono service
- Lewis Roca Lawyers Recognized as Legal Elite 2020Nevada Business Magazine , 06/1/2020
- Honors & Recognitions, 08/17/2023
- Lewis Roca Announces 18 Lawyers Named 2023 Mountain States Super Lawyers® and Mountain States Rising Stars®Honors & Recognitions, 07/12/2023
- Lewis Roca Recognized For Its Commitment and Dedication to Pro Bono Services by Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada in 2022Honors & Recognitions, 12/21/2022
- Lewis Roca Announces 16 Lawyers Named 2022 Mountain States Super Lawyers® and Mountain States Rising Stars®Honors & Recognitions, 07/12/2022
- Lewis Roca Announces 18 Lawyers Named 2021 Mountain States Super Lawyers® and Mountain States Rising Stars®Honors & Recognitions, 07/13/2021
- Lewis Roca Lawyers Recognized as 2020 Mountain States Super Lawyers® and Mountain States Rising Stars®Press Release, 06/15/2020
- Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie Attorneys Recognized as 2019 Mountain States Lawyers® and Mountain States Rising Stars®Honors & Recognitions, 05/31/2019
- Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie Lawyers Recognized as 2018 Mountain States Super Lawyers® and Mountain States Rising Stars®Honors & Recognitions, 06/11/2018
- Honors & Recognitions, 06/14/2016
- Honors & Recognitions, 05/6/2016
- Press Release, 03/22/2016
- Watch Out for the Exception to the Exception to the Rule: Contrasting Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico and Nevada Law on Equitable SubrogationLewis Roca Rothgerber Christie, 02/28/2017,
- Presenter, “Construction Lien Law in Nevada,” Lorman Education Services, Reno, Nevada, August 2010
- Honors & Recognitions |  08/17/2023
- Honors & Recognitions |  07/12/2023Lewis Roca Announces 18 Lawyers Named 2023 Mountain States Super Lawyers® and Mountain States Rising Stars®
- Honors & Recognitions |  12/21/2022Lewis Roca Recognized For Its Commitment and Dedication to Pro Bono Services by Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada in 2022