A born problem-solver, Tom brings a calm, knowledgeable, and logical approach to his clients' biggest challenges.
Thomas Daly is a partner and chair of Lewis Roca’s Intellectual Property Practice Group. Clients appreciate the more than 25 years of experience in intellectual property law that he brings to a team. With a litigation background, Tom now focuses on helping clients with strategies to obtain and protect trademarks and patents.
Tom procures, licenses, and enforces patent portfolios for medical devices, chemical processing, and pharmaceuticals, among others, and has a special proficiency in working with design patents and protecting rights of publicity. He has represented clients in a large number of medical device, spinal implant, and joint replacement implant intellectual property cases. He has been named to the Southern California “Super Lawyer” list of intellectual property practitioners every year since 2005.
In addition, Tom routinely assists clients with their global portfolios and serves as a member of the firm's Korea Business Team where he works with Korean businesses to protect and enforce their patents in the U.S. and internationally.
Tom’s clients value his calm and logical approach to solving their challenges. He enjoys navigating the problem-solving process with his clients, working to make complex issues more manageable. Given his significant experience, there are few, if any, issues that arise that Tom hasn’t seen before.
You never have to ask Tom to get something done more than once, in fact, he often anticipates client needs before they arise. His responsive nature means his clients know they can count on him to be available when they need him.
Law school wasn’t on Tom’s radar until a friend encouraged him to observe one of his law classes. He enjoyed it so much that he made the decision to attend law school in the evenings while working full-time as a chemical engineer during the day. Now, more than 25 years later, Tom can’t imagine doing anything else.
More About Thomas J. Daly
- J.D., magna cum laude, Loyola Law School, 1985
- B.S., Chemical Engineering, University of Illinois, 1979
- California, 1985
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- Foothill Unity Center, Inc., Board Member, 2019-present
- Los Angeles Lawyer Magazine Editorial Board, 2016-present; Chair, 2018-2019
- Cancer Support Community Pasadena, President, 2015-2016; current Advisory Council Member
- Pasadena Chamber of Commerce, Chair, 2015-2016; current Board Member
- Fire Family Foundation, Board Member, 2014-2018; current Advisory Council Member
- The Bureau of National Affairs' United States Patent Quarterly, Advisory Board Member, 2006-2016
- Los Angeles County Business Technology Center, Mentor, 2005-2018
- Pasadena Bar Association, President, 2009
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Trustee, 2008-2009
- Los Angeles Intellectual Property Law Association, President, 1998-1999
- Assisted with a venture in early licensing of outer surface texturing of soft tissue implants that later grew into a $47 million sale.
- Representing plaintiff in design patent infringement suit involving aftermarket wheel designs.
- Representing well-known influencer in protecting trademark and publicity rights.
- Obtained preliminary injunction for plaintiff in a trademark infringement action that resulted in a very favorable settlement.
- Represented plaintiff in patent infringement suit Bragel International, Inc. v. Agaci LLC (C.D. Cal. 2015).
- Represented plaintiff in patent infringement suit Bragel International, Inc. v. Charlotte Russe, Inc. (C.D. Cal. 2015).
- Represented plaintiff in patent infringement suit Bragel International, Inc. v. E-Retail Society, et al. (C.D. Cal. 2015).
- Represented plaintiff in patent infringement suit Bragel International, Inc. v. Styles For Less, Inc. (C.D. Cal. 2015).
- Represented plaintiff in trade dress infringement, misappropriation of trade secrets and unfair competition suit United States Pumice Company v. Seung Joon Lee, et al. (C.D. Cal. 2015).
- Represented plaintiff in patent infringement suit Bragel International, Inc. v. June Tailor, Inc. (C.D. Cal. 2014).
- Represented plaintiff in trademark cancellation and declaratory judgment suit Merit Healthcare International, Inc. v. Merit Medical Systems, Inc. (C.D. Cal. 2014).
- Represented defendant Anschutz Entertainment Group, Inc. in patent infringement suit Seismic Structural Design Associates, Inc. v. M. Arthur Gensler Jr. and Associates, Inc. et al. (C.D. Cal. 2011).
- Represented defendants in copyright infringement and trade secret misappropriation suit Lukasian House LLC v. Ample International Inc., et al. (C.D. Cal. 2011).
- Represented plaintiff in suit to confirm arbitration award Korean Independence Historical Association, Inc. v. Yonsei University (C.D. Cal. 2005).
Honors & Recognitions
- Super Lawyers, “Southern California Super Lawyer,” 2005-present
- Intellectual Property Leaders in Law 2020, Los Angeles Business Journal, One of Five Finalists, 2020
- Martindale-Hubbell, “AV Preeminent” Lawyer
- Loyola of Los Angeles Law Review, Articles Editor, 1984-1985
- Tom Daly Recognized As One of Five Finalists Leaders in Law 2020Los Angeles Business Journal, 11/18/2020
- Press Release, 01/21/2021
- Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie Announces New Leaders of Litigation and Intellectual Property Practice Groups05/31/2018
- Press Release, 06/09/2016
- World Trademark Review, Autumn 2020
- World Trademark Review, 2019-08-01,
- LA Lawyer, 04/5/2017,
- World Trademark Review, 08/18/2016,
- Lewis Roca Blog, 09/3/2020
- Lewis Roca Blog, 08/27/2020,
- Lewis Roca Blog, 08/20/2020,
- Lewis Roca Blog, 04/30/2020,
- Lewis Roca Blog, 03/31/2020,
- Lewis Roca Blog, 03/13/2020
- Lewis Roca Blog, 02/4/2020,
- Co-presenter, "Key Intellectual Property Updates," Los Angeles County Bar Association Webinar, November 19, 2019
- Presenter, "Right of Publicity for Estate Planners," ICON Wealth & Legacy Partners, July 17, 2019
You May Also Like
- Press Release |  01/21/2021
- Blog |  09/3/2020
- Insight |  Autumn 2020