Robert Roos has been with the firm for more than 30 years. Robert practices in the firm's Litigation Practice Group with a particular emphasis on commercial and construction disputes, procurement disputes, and environmental matters. He has been recognized as a top Arizona attorney by Best Lawyers, Martindale-Hubbell, and Southwest Super Lawyers. Robert counsels businesses on all facets of commercial, construction, and environmental law and regularly represents clients in litigation, arbitration, and administrative proceedings. He is a past chair of the Construction Section of the State Bar of Arizona and the Environmental Committee of the Arizona Rock Products Association.
Robert is experienced in all aspects of building and engineering construction from contract negotiations and procurement, to claims avoidance, counseling, and resolution. His experience includes representing contractors and service providers in procurement disputes, and representing owners and contractors in construction disputes of all kinds, including contract terminations, delay claims (including acceleration, interference, and lost productivity claims), license issues, and defective work and negligence claims. He regularly counsels clients on risk management techniques, dispute avoidance, and alternative dispute resolution.
Robert has broad experience with the Flood Control District of Maricopa County. He has represented clients in Flood Control District permitting and compliance matters and regulatory development.
Robert is general counsel to the Arizona Chapter of the Associated General Contractors. He has spoken to various industry organizations, including the Arizona Builders Alliance, the Construction Section of the State Bar of Arizona, the National Association of Credit Managers, and Lorman Education Services.
Robert completed the American Arbitration Association’s 40-hour Essential Mediation Skills Course in November 2012.
More About Robert F. Roos
- J.D., University of California, Berkeley, School of Law, Order of the Coif, 1984
- B.A., with highest distinction, University of Arizona, 1980
- Arizona, 1985
- Arizona Board of Technical Registration, Public Member, 2002-2008
- Arizona Rock Products Association, Member (Former Chair of Environment Committee)
- Associated General Contractors Arizona Chapter, General Counsel
- Arizona State Bar Construction Law Section, Member (Past Chair and former Executive Council Member)
- Community Legal Services, Board Member (1992-1998; Executive Committee 1993-1994), 1992-1998
- Lead counsel in the successful defense of a contractor wrongfully terminated by an Arizona municipality during the construction of a new plant at one of the largest wastewater treatment facilities in the United States. Case favorably settled through mediation after client prevailed on two motions for summary judgment while a third motion for summary judgment was pending.
- Represented international airline in the successful negotiation and settlement of a multimillion-dollar request for equitable adjustment arising out of a terminal renovation at a major American airport.
- Represented contractor terminated for convenience by a national hotel chain who successfully negotiated payment of a majority of its fee.
- Represented owners and contractors in the negotiation and documentation of design and construction contracts.
- Routinely prosecutes and defends contractors and owners against contractor, subcontractor, and supplier payment claims, including the prosecution and defense of mechanic’s lien and payment and performance bond claims on public and private construction projects.
- Defense of manufacturer in a lawsuit alleging environmental (groundwater contamination), the case was favorably settled before trial.
- Represented large general contractor whose projects were taken over by the contractor’s surety. The representation included general advice and extended complex negotiations with project owners and the contractor’s surety.
Honors & Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Aiken, S.C., Construction Law and Construction Litigation, 2001-2023
- Martindale-Hubbell, "AV/Preeminent Attorney" rating
- Southwest Super Lawyers, Construction Litigation, 2007-2015, 2018-2019
- Southwest Super Lawyers, Corporate Counsel, 2009-2010
- Phi Beta Kappa, Phi Kappa Phi, Blue Key and Order of the Coif
- Arizona Rock Product Association, Associate Member of the Year, 1999
- Sy Clark Young Leadership Award, Jewish Federation of Greater Phoenix, 1994
- Lewis Roca Ranked One of the Top 50 Construction Law Firms 2019Construction Executive , 06/1/2019
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Honors & Recognitions, 08/18/2022
- Honors & Recognitions, 08/19/2021
- Press Release, 08/20/2020
- Press Release, 08/15/2019
- Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie Lawyers Recognized as 2019 Southwest Super Lawyers® and Southwest Rising Stars®Honors & Recognitions, 04/15/2019
- Press Release, 08/15/2018
- Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie Lawyers Recognized as 2018 Southwest Super Lawyers® and Southwest Rising Stars®Honors & Recognitions, 04/23/2018
- Press Release, 08/15/2017
- Press Release, 04/11/2017
- Honors & Recognitions, 08/15/2016
- AzBusiness Magazine, May/June 2022,
- Lewis Roca Blog, 03/17/2020,
- Honors & Recognitions |  08/18/2022
- Insight |  May/June 2022
- Honors & Recognitions |  08/19/2021