Heidi sees solutions. Her diverse employment and career experiences equip her to view all matters from different angles, with the ultimate goal to win for her clients.
"An extremely talented and practical attorney who is focused on land use regulation, zoning and real estate transactions. She is a popular choice among commercial developers, master planned community developers and national home building companies." - Chambers USA
Heidi Short is a partner in Lewis Roca's Business Transactions Practice Group. Heidi's focus is primarily in the areas of land use regulation, zoning, and real estate acquisition and disposition. She represents commercial developers, national homebuilding companies, and master planned community developers in various areas including:
- Preparation and negotiation of easements
- Acquisition of land
- Negotiation of development agreements
- Securing zoning and land use entitlements
- Negotiation of development financing
- Formation and operation of community facilities districts
- Preparation of construction and sales contracts
- All areas of acquisition, development, and sale
Heidi, who began practicing law in 1997, was listed in the 2010-2019 editions of Best Lawyers in America® for land use and zoning law, and for real estate law.
Heidi's keen sense of leadership and strategic mentality make her an asset to the clients she counsels. Her clients benefit from her background in zoning and look to her for practical solutions during projects. She is able to maintain long-standing relationships with her clients due to her attention to detail, organizational skills, and charming personality. Her clients appreciate her prompt responses and the ability to meet multiple deadlines. She is consistently engaged in all matters from start to finish.
Heidi has an interest in interior design. She enjoys watching renovation shows with her daughter and also runs her own design projects around her home. She enjoys being outdoors hiking and camping with her family.
More About Heidi K. Short
- J.D., with honors, Florida State University College of Law, 1996
- M.S.P., Florida State University, 1996
- B.S.B.A., magna cum laude, Economics, University of Central Florida, 1992
- Arizona, 1997
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
- Arizona Women's Appointment Collaboration, Past Chair
- Junior League of Phoenix, Former Board Member
- Arizona Planning Association, Former Member
- Arizona Chamber Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, Former Member
- Executive Council Real Property Section State Bar of Arizona, Former Member
- Arizona Forward Association aka Valley Forward Association, Past Chair
- City of Phoenix, Zoning Adjustment Hearing Officer
- Secured zoning entitlements for a national developer for commercial land uses including hotels, entertainment venues, restaurants, car washes, retail, office, and various mixed-use developments, including multifamily developments.
- Obtained approval for a national developer for a major amendment to an existing Planned Area Development to allow for the construction of a mixed-use development including class A office space, office condominiums, retail pads, and multistory hotels.
- Represented international resort and hotel owner/operator with obtaining zoning and subdivision approvals necessary to allow for a major expansion of a resort hotel, including a golf course.
- Served as counsel for several commerce park and industrial centers in connection with acquiring parcels, leasing and selling parcels and drafting easements. Representation also included obtaining subdivision, zoning, and site plan approvals from the governing municipalities.
- Represented one of the nation's largest master-planned community developers in connection with acquiring a residential master-planned community, including over 5,000 acres of residential use, 600 acres of commercial use, and 300 acres of mixed-use property. Representation included assistance with the acquisition of the 5,000+ acre master-planned community and securing and analyzing land use and zoning entitlements and disposition of parcels to commercial and residential developers. Representation also included assistance with the issuance of special assessment revenue bonds to finance infrastructure improvements through a Community Facilities District.
- Represented international merchant power generation company in obtaining land use entitlements including a general plan amendment and special use permit for the development of a 1060 megawatt natural gas-fired combined-cycle power plant designed to serve electricity to the Southwest.
- Represented international company in obtaining ownership and possessory interests in Arizona State Trust lands and in obtaining zoning and land use entitlements for a solar power project to serve an on-site, international operation center and designed to sell and distribute excess electrical power.
- Represented private land owners and entities in structuring and negotiating federal land exchanges with the U.S. Forest Service and the U.S. Postal Service. Heidi’s experience includes build-to-suit agreements for proposed federal buildings to be located on private land in exchange for public lands, and structuring and negotiating the agreements required to secure specifically desired packages of land for exchange with federal agencies.
- Represented national freight railroad in all real estate matters, including easements, sidetrack agreements, lease, zoning and grading, and drainage matters.
- Represents international and national REITs in the acquisition, disposition, and leasing of properties throughout the U.S., including assistance with all property management issues.
- Represented international military contractor in obtaining zoning entitlements securing Foreign Trade Zone status for a weapons training and testing range.
- Served as counsel to a regional retail distribution center for a large national operator of department stores in connection with the acquisition of property for the distribution center, negotiation of a development agreement providing for reimbursements and payments from the governing municipality, and securing zoning and site plan approvals.
- Negotiated long-term specialized educational purpose leases with the Arizona State Land Department. Also secured all rights of entry and approvals necessary to successfully implement unique leasing opportunities available to schools through the Arizona State Land Department. Assisted school administrators and boards with acquiring property from private entities and municipalities. This representation included assisting schools with due diligence reviews, title examination, and proper property tax filings unique to schools. Representation also included assisting schools with timely and affordable placement, replacement or relocation of utilities, roadways, fire lines, and other unique public infrastructure needs of schools.
- Served as counsel to municipality in obtaining and distributing stimulus funds under the American Recovery Reinvestment Act.
- Served as zoning adjustment hearing officer for municipality. Conducted hearings and issues rulings on use permits, variance requests, and formal interpretations of the municipal zoning ordinance.
- Acts as primary counsel to water company operating as a Community Facilities District, including day to day operations and construction approvals and financing through the Water Infrastructure Finance Authority of Arizona.
Honors & Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Aiken, S.C., Land Use and Zoning Law and Real Estate Law, 2010-2024
- Chambers USA, Real Estate: Zoning/Land Use, 2014-2023
- Southwest Super Lawyers, Land Use/Zoning, 2008-2011, 2018-2019
- Junior League of Phoenix, 75th Anniversary Outstanding Women honorees, 2009
- Florida State University Law Review, Member
- Florida State University Journal of Land Use and Environmental Law, Research Editor
- Arizona Woman Magazine Arizona Republic, “20 Women Who Will Shape Arizona by 2020,” 2007
- Honors & Recognitions, 08/17/2023
- Honors & Recognitions, 06/5/2023
- Honors & Recognitions, 08/18/2022
- Honors & Recognitions, 06/1/2022
- Honors & Recognitions, 08/19/2021
- Honors & Recognitions, 05/20/2021
- Press Release, 08/20/2020
- Press Release, 04/24/2020
- Press Release, 08/15/2019
- Honors & Recognitions, 04/25/2019
- Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie Lawyers Recognized as 2019 Southwest Super Lawyers® and Southwest Rising Stars®Honors & Recognitions, 04/15/2019
- Press Release, 08/15/2018
- Honors & Recognitions, 05/3/2018
- Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie Lawyers Recognized as 2018 Southwest Super Lawyers® and Southwest Rising Stars®Honors & Recognitions, 04/23/2018
- Media Mentions, 04/2/2018
- Press Release, 08/15/2017
- Honors & Recognitions, 05/31/2017
- Press Release, 04/4/2017
- Honors & Recognitions, 08/15/2016
- Honors & Recognitions, 5/27/2016
- Press Release, 03/22/2016
- Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie LLP, 07/31/2018
- Speaker, “National Public Radio” interview addressing anti-flipping provisions in residential retail purchase contracts, July 2004
- Honors & Recognitions |  08/17/2023
- Honors & Recognitions |  06/5/2023
- Honors & Recognitions |  08/18/2022