Emily Charlesworth is a partner in the firm’s Business Transactions Practice Group, and her practice focuses primarily on finance, leasing, and real estate transactions. Emily routinely advises lenders in structuring, negotiating, and documenting unsecured and secured financing transactions, including, asset-based loans, C&I loans, real estate acquisition loans, and construction development loans for mixed-use, commercial, hotel, multifamily, and low-income housing tax credit projects. She spent much of 2007-2010 counseling lenders and borrowers in loan workouts and restructurings, including pre-bankruptcy planning, foreclosures, liquidations, and deeds in lieu of foreclosure. Her experience in all stages of a financing transaction makes her a trusted and valuable advisor for lender and borrower clients.
Throughout her legal career, Emily has acted as outside general counsel for banks and other financial institutions, providing advice on general banking, regulatory, real estate, lending, and collections matters. Emily was a credit analyst and commercial lender for two national banking institutions before becoming a lawyer. Additionally, Emily has extensive experience in complex commercial acquisitions and dispositions, and in drafting and negotiating leases, including ground leases and retail, commercial, industrial, and aircraft leases.
Emily is a Colorado native and is invested in giving back to the Denver community. She serves on the board of two local organizations, including Hope Communities, Inc., a nonprofit organization providing affordable housing and program services throughout Denver. She also participates in pro bono legal clinics providing guidance to startup business and nonprofit entities.
More About Emily Charlesworth
- J.D., University of Denver, Sturm College of Law, 2006
- B.S., University of Colorado, Boulder, 2001
- Colorado, 2006
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Colorado
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- American Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association
- Colorado Women's Bar Association
- Commercial Real Estate Women CREW Denver
- Downtown Denver Partnership Leadership Program
- Colorado Bar Association, Nonprofit Pro Bono Legal Clinic
- Represented lender in the acquisition, development, and construction financing for a 400-plus acre mountain community, including 250-plus residential homes and other amenities.
- Represented construction lender in connection with the financing of several mixed-use developments utilizing tax increment and other third party funding sources.
- Represented lender in four percent and nine percent LIHTC construction loan transactions.
- Represented lender in the financing of Denver’s Union Station.
- Lender’s counsel in the refinance of a $100 million resort property in Vail, Colorado.
- Represented multiple national borrowers in connection with asset-based loan facilities, including several cross-border transactions with collateral and assets located internationally.
- Represented public authority in connection with the ground lease of several sites for redevelopment.
Honors & Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate Law, 2023
- Colorado Super Lawyers, "Rising Star," Banking, 2019
- Honors & Recognitions, 08/18/2022
- Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie Lawyers Recognized as 2019 Colorado Super Lawyers® and Colorado Rising Stars®Honors & Recognitions, 03/18/2019
- Press Release, 01/29/2018
- Honors & Recognitions |  08/18/2022
- Webinar |  06/29/2021
- Honors & Recognitions |  04/8/2021