Samuel S. Chang
Sam Chang is co-practice group leader of the firm's Business Transactions Practice Group and chair of the firm's Hiring Committee. Sam focuses his practice on real estate debt and equity financing, real estate sales and acquisitions, and loan transactions.
In his real estate practice, Sam regularly represents developers, universities, real estate investment firms, institutional equity investors, and health care institutions in all types of commercial real estate transactions, including the acquisition, development, leasing, operation, and financing of multifamily residential complexes, office buildings, student housing projects, senior housing projects, retail centers, industrial facilities, and mixed-use projects. He has considerable experience representing companies in real estate acquisitions and sales all over the United States.
In his lending practice, Sam represents a variety of banking institutions in complex lending transactions. Sam has extensive experience helping lending clients with real estate acquisition financings, construction loans, asset-based and other collateralized financings, loan modifications and refinancings, trustee's sales, loan workouts, and deeds in lieu of foreclosures involving multifamily, office, retail, industrial, and hotel properties.
More About Samuel S. Chang
- J.D., University of Arizona, James E. Rogers College of Law, 2006
- B.S., magna cum laude, Marketing, University of Arizona, 2003
- The Diane and Bruce Halle Foundation, Current Board Member
- Arizona State Bar, Co-chair, 2016 State Bar Convention
- Scottsdale Leadership, Class XXVI Member
- Bar Leadership Institute, 2009-2010 Class Member
- Arizona Asian American Bar Association, Member
- Maricopa County Bar Association, Member
- Foundation for Senior Living, Former Chair of the Board of Directors
- The Welcome to America Project, Former Board Member
- Marshall Foundation, Former Board Member
- Tu Nidito, Former Board Member
- Arizona Students' Association, Former Board Member and Lobbyist
- The Florence Immigrant & Refugee Rights Program, Former Volunteer
- Represented one of the largest multifamily developers in the United States with its acquisitions, joint ventures, and loans for several projects in Texas and California.
- Represented large university with respect to acquisition, development, operations, and leasing in connection with several student housing projects.
- Represented large hospital client with complex real property issues associated with the client’s acquisition of a university related hospital network in Tucson, Arizona.
- Represented institutional investor with multimillion-dollar senior housing projects across the United States.
- Represented large nonprofit in all aspects of real estate transactions.
- Represented one of the largest land acquisition companies in North America with its acquisitions and development of numerous projects in Arizona, Texas, and Florida.
- Assisted client in connection with the conversion of its multibillion-dollar real state fund.
- Represented lenders in connection with numerous multimillion-dollar loan transactions.
- Represented national self-storage client in acquisitions and development of facilities across the United States.
- Represented national insurance company in numerous equity financed joint venture transactions in connection with the acquisition, development, operation, and financing of multifamily residential complexes, mixed-use centers, office buildings, and industrial facilities throughout the United States.
- Represented institutional investor in connection with over $75 million in 1031 exchange transactions.
- Represented the Arizona Super Bowl Host Committee in obtaining the required zoning for signage.
- Represented institutional lender in an $11 million construction loan for a Hilton hotel in Chandler, Arizona, a $9 million construction loan for a Marriott hotel in Chandler, Arizona, and a $12 million Residence Inn hotel in Denver, Colorado.
Honors & Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate Law, 2022-2023
- Chambers USA, Real Estate, 2022-2023
- Southwest Super Lawyers – Real Estate, 2021-2023
- AZ Big Media, "20 Young Business Leaders to Watch," 2020
- Lawyers of Color, Nation's Best List, Southwest Region, 2019
- Super Lawyers Southwest, Rising Star, Real Estate, 2019, 2017, 2016, 2013, and 2012
- Phoenix Business Journal, “40 Under 40,” 2015
- Martindale-Hubbell, "AV/Preeminent Attorney" rating
- Dean’s Recognition Award, The University of Arizona - James E. Rogers College of Law, Awarded to only two graduating law students each year
- Robert L. Nugent Outstanding Graduating Senior Award, The University of Arizona, Awarded to only two graduating students each year
- Sam Chang Named to Lawyers of Color Nation's Best 2019 ListLawyers of Color, 10/7/2019
- Honors & Recognitions, 04/6/2023
- Honors & Recognitions, 08/18/2022
- Honors & Recognitions, 06/1/2022
- Honors & Recognitions, 04/7/2022
- Honors & Recognitions, 08/19/2021
- Honors & Recognitions, 04/8/2021
- Press Release, 10/14/2019
- Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie Lawyers Recognized as 2019 Southwest Super Lawyers® and Southwest Rising Stars®Honors & Recognitions, 04/15/2019
- Press Release, 09/4/2018
- Press Release, 07/18/2018
- Press Release, 04/11/2017
- Press Release, 04/4/2017
- Press Release, 04/12/2016
- Press Release, 03/22/2016
- AZBIGMEDIA.com, 01/6/2020,
- Honors & Recognitions |  04/6/2023
- Honors & Recognitions |  08/18/2022
- Honors & Recognitions |  06/1/2022