Gary Nelson is a partner in Lewis Roca's Intellectual Property Practice Group. Clients turn to Gary for prosecution and maintenance of large international corporate trademark portfolios, particularly in the fashion and clothing industry. He also specializes in resolving intellectual property disputes in a broad spectrum of industries that also include food, computer software and hardware, office supply, sports and entertainment, among others.
Gary has managed more than 7,000 individual trademark applications/registrations throughout the world. Through his network of international counsel, Gary has filed and supervised the prosecution of trademarks in over 150 countries.
Gary is involved in the enforcement and defense of trademark, copyright, and patent rights for his clients, as well as being an expert in trademark, copyright, and patent licensing. He has been lead counsel on over 150 trademark opposition/cancellation proceedings before the United States Trademark Trial and Appeal Board; and has filed more than 200 UDRP Complaints with the National Arbitration Forum and the World Intellectual Property Organization to force the transfer of ownership of contested domain names.
Gary is proficient in domain name disputes and Internet law, and serves as a neutral and a domain name panelist for the World Intellectual Property Organization's Arbitration and Mediation Center.
Prior to his legal career, he spent eight years producing, directing, and editing documentaries in the entertainment industry.
More About Gary J. Nelson
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 1996
- M.F.A., Cinema TV Productions, University of Southern California, 1986
- B.A., magna cum laude, Economics, Pacific Lutheran University, 1981
- B.S., magna cum laude, Chemistry, Pacific Lutheran University, 1981
- California, 1996
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- Norwegian American Bar Association, Member
- Georgetown Entertainment & Media Alliance, Member
- Intellectual Property Organization, Member, Trademark Office Practice (U.S.) Committee
- Los Angeles Intellectual Property Law Association, Board of Directors, 2001-2007, President 2006-2007, 2001-2007
- International Trademark Association INTA, Chairperson of Lefkowitz Moot Court Competition, 2015-2016
- Glendale Fire Foundation, Board of Directors, 2014-present
- Glendale Police Foundation, Board of Directors, 2015-present
- Glendale Bar Association, President, 2015
- Gary’s trademark work with Lucky Brand shepherded the company from startup status to $100 million fashion brand
- Gary works closely with Guess? in protecting the client's important trademark rights in the fashion industry.
- Gary heads up the enforcement team for IQAir North America, Inc. and polices the Internet for ongoing abuses and unfair competition.
Honors & Recognitions
- World Trademark Review, WTR 1000, The World's Leading Trademark Professionals, 2020-2023
- Lewis Roca Lawyers Recognized as Leading Trademark Professionals in 2023 World Trademark Review (WTR) 1000 DirectoryHonors & Recognitions, 02/21/2023
- Honors & Recognitions, 03/3/2022
- Press Release, 02/17/2021
- Honors & Recognitions, 02/13/2020
- Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie Sues Trademark Infringers of Tapatio Hot Sauce Over Marijuana Infused SaucePress Release, 10/26/2017
- Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie LLP, 10/30/2017,
- Panelist, "Online Counterfeiting - Policing and Protecting Brands," Los Angeles Intellectual Property Law Association - Washington in the West Event, January 2020
- Co-Presenter, “Solving the International Expansion Puzzle – Sustain Your Company’s Global Footprint and Expand Your Business Into Key Markets,” Outdoor University, Outdoor Retailer Summer Market, June 2019
- Panelist, "Making it in America: Manufacturing, Selling, Protecting," Outdoor Retailer Summer Market, July 2018
- Co-Presenter, "Intellectual Property Quiz Show," Outdoor University, Outdoor Retailer Summer Market, July 2017
- Honors & Recognitions |  02/21/2023Lewis Roca Lawyers Recognized as Leading Trademark Professionals in 2023 World Trademark Review (WTR) 1000 Directory
- Honors & Recognitions |  03/3/2022
- Webinar |  06/29/2021