Matt is a natural strategist, and his forward-leaning, receptive personality facilitates creative and effective solutions.
Matt Sweger is a partner in the firm’s Business Transactions Practice Group. Matt's practice focuses on corporate and finance transactions, with an emphasis on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, capital raising, and formation of new businesses. He also acts as outside general counsel to clients on a range of corporate governance and general commercial matters.
Matt’s clients operate in a wide range of industries, including health care, real estate development and investment, research and development, financial services, software, defense, manufacturing, wholesale, retail, professional services, construction, and transportation.
Matt has been consistently recognized by Chambers USA in the areas of corporate law and mergers and acquisitions since 2015. He was also named “Lawyer of the Year” in 2018 and 2020 by Best Lawyers in America in the area of corporate law. Matt received his J.D., magna cum laude and Order of the Coif, from the University of Pittsburgh School of Law and his B.A. from Washington & Jefferson College.
Matt has built a reputation for quickly and effectively sorting through intricate fact patterns and methodically planning and preparing deal strategies. He is goal-oriented and places a high value on his role as a transactional counselor. His clients benefit from his versatility and creative, proactive, and passionately-dedicated client service style. Matt's practice includes a business degree that harmoniously assists in addressing his clients' issues from multiple viewpoints. Colleagues and clients enjoy the dynamic conversations and collaborative work environment Matt brings.
Matt is an avid reader. He particularly enjoys reading history and historical fiction and following those stories through travel across the world. To stay active, Matt likes skiing, cycling, running, and weight lifting.
More About Matthew C. Sweger
- J.D., magna cum laude, University of Pittsburgh School of Law, Order of the Coif, 1998
- B.A., Washington & Jefferson College, 1995
- Arizona, 1998
- University of Pittsburgh Law Review, Member
- Business Law, Tax, and Securities Sections of the State Bar of Arizona, Member
- Invest Southwest, Mentor Team Chair
- Business Law Section of the State Bar of Arizona, Chair of the Executive Council, 2011-2012; Executive Council, 2004-2012; CLE Programming Coordinator, 2004-2012
- Committee on Rendering Legal Opinions in Business Transactions, Business Law Section of the State Bar of Arizona, Member, 2002-2004
Honors & Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Aiken, S.C., Corporate Law, 2016-2021
- Chambers USA, Corporate/M&A, 2015-2020
- AZ Big Media, Top 100 Lawyers in Arizona, 2020
- The Best Lawyers in America, Lawyer of the Year, Corporate Law, 2018, 2020
- BTI Client Service All-Stars, 2019
- Acritas Star, Independently Rated Lawyer, 2017-2019
- Southwest Super Lawyers, Rising Star, Business/Corporate Law, 2012
- Matt Sweger and Frances Sjoberg Named Top 100 Lawyers in Arizona 2020AZBusiness, 01/1/2020
- Matt Sweger Recognized as BTI Client Service All-Star10/1/2019
- Press Release, 08/20/2020
- Press Release, 04/24/2020
- Honors & Recognitions, 05/3/2018
- Press Release, 08/15/2017
- Honors & Recognitions, 05/31/2017
- Honors & Recognitions, 08/15/2016
- Honors & Recognitions, 5/27/2016
- Presenter, "Accountable Care Organizations 101," 34th Annual Winter Conference - Tucson Hospitals Medical Education Program, 2012
- Presenter, "Show Me the Money: Financing Your Business and Planning for the Exit Option," Workshop in the Entrepreneurs Initiative Series, The University of Arizona, James E. Rogers College of Law, 2010
You May Also Like
- Press Release |  08/20/2020
- Press Release |  04/24/2020