Josephine understands the bottom line. She excels at understanding issues and is focused on producing results on time.
Josephine Chang is a partner in Lewis Roca’s Intellectual Property Practice Group. Clients turn to Josephine for managing small and large patent portfolios, to conduct in-depth evaluations of products and processes for patentability and infringement, conduct right to use evaluations, and obtain advice for other IP matters in the U.S. and internationally. She has extensive international experience with patent filings across Europe and Asia, including Korea, Japan, China, Australia, and Canada.
As a member of the firm’s Korea Practice Team, Josephine has provided IP services to Korean clients in both the U.S. and internationally. Josephine has also represented other international clients, including clients in Japan and Europe. She is experienced in managing large patent portfolios as well as working with startup companies and individual inventors. She also represents universities in their patent matters. In addition to U.S.-based and global patent prosecution, Josephine counsels clients with respect to trademarks and copyrights.
Josephine has deep technical knowledge in computer software and hardware, telecommunications, and customer contact centers systems, among others. She uses this background in counseling clients and preparing and prosecuting patent applications in these technical areas.
Josephine has been recognized on her ability to listen to a client’s concerns and fully understand the matters at hand. Her aptitude to connect with clients on a business and person level truly add a sense of teamwork and ownership.
Originally born in South Korea, Josephine was raised in Paraguay, where she learned Spanish and speaks it fluently. Before Josephine started her career as a lawyer, she considered going into journalism, but her passion and interest for math and computer science convinced her to go into intellectual property law. When Josephine is not in the office, she enjoys donating her time to nonprofit organizations and community events.
More About Josephine E. Chang
- J.D., Loyola University Chicago School of Law, 1996
- B.S., Mathematics / Computer Science and Spanish, Carnegie-Mellon University, 1993
- California, 1997
- Illinois, 1996
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 2000
- Korean American Bar Association, Member, 2006
- Los Angeles Intellectual Property Bar Association, Member, 1998
Josephine has assisted clients with patent prosecution relating to many areas, including but not limited to, customer contact center and call distribution systems, telecommunication networks and protocols, sensors, medical imaging technology, data storage, archiving, and management, Internet/Web 2.0 technologies, cloud and SaaS based technologies, visual navigation systems, business method technologies, consumer electronics, 3D/2D image processing, gaming, point-of-sale systems, and interactive television technologies.
Patent Prosecution Experience
- Artificial Intelligence / Machine Learning
- Developing Complex Probabilistic Models
- Extracting Domain Model for Dynamic Dialog Control
- Computer Networks (user authentication, VLAN, QoS, network processors, resource management, cloud computing, peer-to-peer, network analysis)
- Resource Sharing in a Peer-to-Peer Network
- Hybrid Cloud Architecture
- Modeling and Analyzing Data via Hierarchical Random Graphs
- Medical Devices / Systems (medical care management; surgical systems)
- Longitudinal Member for Spinal Surgery
- Bone Anchoring Element
- Media Compression/Decompression
- Media Transfer Protocol
- Network Security (encryption/decryption)
- Stream Cipher Encryption/Decryption
- Cryptography Engine
- Computer Modeling and Analysis
- Chemical Release Estimation
- Monitoring and Managing Utility Devices
- Medical Imaging / Image Processing
- Locating Anatomies of Interest in 3D Imaging
- Distributing and Displaying Still Photos
- Creating, Storing, and Utilizing Composite Images
- Data Analysis and Database Management
- Searchable Archive
- Representing Unstructured Data
- Computer Animation
- Streaming 3D Animated Content
- Optimizing 3D Animation and Textures
- Internet of Things
- Telecommunications (Signaling protocols, automated call distribution systems)
- Computer Forensics
- Interactive Television
- Interactive Games and Gaming Devices
- Music (playlist recommendation; audio data analysis)
- Los Angeles Lawyer, 09/1/2019,
- Co-Presenter, "Key Intellectual Property Updates," Los Angeles County Bar Association Webinar, November 19, 2019
- Co-Presenter, "Using Patents as a Sword and Shield: IP Basics for Business Growth Strategies," Glendale Tech Week, September 16, 2019
You May Also Like
- Insight |  09/1/2019
- Insight |  07/31/2018