Our lawyers defend business and corporate clients against mass torts and class action litigation in which plaintiffs and their counsel attempt to aggregate products liability, environmental, toxic tort, securities or similar claims. We have particular class action defense strength in representing insurers sued for alleged policy violations, publicly held companies and investment firms against shareholder and derivative claims, and manufacturers against product liability and toxic tort litigation.
When we represent you in such cases, we will evaluate the complex scientific, technical, and multi-jurisdictional issues to resolve the matter in the way that works best for you. We will assess the merits of the case quickly, and aggressively seek to dismiss the suit or restrict the plaintiffs' claims on legal grounds – while looking for opportunities to conclude a settlement if that is in your best interests. Should the case move to trial, we will present a knowledgeable yet practical defense that humanizes your position and makes it understandable against plaintiffs’ emotional appeals directed at “deep pockets” defendants. Our use of technology is a particular strength, with an e-discovery capability that can effectively handle the millions of pages of documents these cases can represent.
When your business faces a class or mass action, you can rely on the experience and capabilities that Lewis Roca used to resolve these complex commercial disputes:
- Representing a national movie theater company in a multi-million dollar class-action suit involving complex federal statutory and constitutional issues
- Defending publicly traded companies in securities class actions based on alleged accounting improprieties and/or director misconduct
- Securing decertification of class action against an insurer relating to use of third-party software to review the medical bills of insured patients
- Defending five insurers in a mass action alleging a nationwide conspiracy to overcharge in the workers compensation voluntary market
- Defending a major hospital system in a Fair Labor Standards Act collective action brought by employees
- Defending several class actions that sought tens of millions of dollars in damages for alleged violations of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act
- Securing summary judgment for a Fortune 500 company in multi-district litigation involving approximately 300 separate cases in which plaintiffs asserted various claims arising out of the failure of a jaw joint implant
Latest from Lewis Roca
- Press Release |  11/5/2020
- Press Release |  08/4/2020
- Insight |  03/17/2020