Stan’s direct approach provides his clients with the clarity and direction needed to meet their financial and business objectives.
Stan Lutz is a member of Lewis Roca’s Regulatory and Government Practice Group focusing on land, water, environmental, construction, and utility matters. Stan has represented clients in a wide range of complex commercial, regulatory, and litigation matters in state and federal court and before various administrative agencies with respect to regulatory oversight and enforcement, condemnation, utility, and water, and land use issues. He also has extensive experience representing private utilities in administrative matters before the Arizona Corporation Commission and other agencies and while being acquired by both governmental and private entities.
Stan’s experience includes matters related to:
- Representing property owners in transactional and litigation matters, assisting with due diligence issues, dealing with patented and unpatented mining claims, and defending complex condemnation, zoning, and contract disputes related to real property.
- Assisting clients with respect to the sale and transfer of water rights, administrative matters involving notices of violation, jurisdictional determinations, and appeals from adverse agency decisions, as well as litigation matters related to disputes over water rights, including representation of clients in the Gila River Adjudication.
- Counseling clients with respect to environmental due diligence, CERCLA liability, the Federal Land Policy, and Management Act, various other state and federal environmental laws, and defending clients in lawsuits under federal and state environmental laws.
- Representing property owners and contractors, at various levels, in contract negotiations, contractual disputes, and construction-defect litigation. Stan’s experience not only includes his legal representation but multiple years of employment in the construction industry.
- Representing utility and energy clients before the Arizona Corporation Commission and in other administrative and judicial settings involving rate cases, permitting matters, and the acquisition and disposition, including condemnation, of utility properties.
Clients recognize Stan's proactive approach and find value in his practical strategies. Stan works with clients to create successful strategies that demonstrate and protect their integrity and meet their business objectives. He enjoys immersing himself in his client's business, company culture, and believes site visits are important to understand the practical realities of his client’s concerns. He excels at meeting deadlines and addressing details while remaining focused on the client's end goal. Clients value Stan's direct communication style and his ability to translate legal complexities into terms they can understand.
Stan enjoys building and construction, and during his free time, you can find him at home working on minor and major projects. When Stan is away from his projects, he enjoys outdoor activities such as hiking, rafting, or skateboarding.
More About Stanley B. Lutz
- J.D., cum laude, Fordham University School of Law, Order of the Coif, 1998
- B.S., Utah State University, 1992
- Arizona, 2002
- New York, 1999
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- Maricopa County Bar Association, Member
- Litigation Section of the American Bar Association, Member
- Construction Law Section of the State Bar of Arizona, Member
- Environmental and Natural Resources Law Section of the State Bar of Arizona, Member
- Successfully defended the rezoning obtained by a large retail client against challenges, including an appeal to the Arizona Supreme Court, brought by a neighboring property owner.
- Successfully represented multiple property owners against municipal efforts to utilize alleged environmental contamination as the basis for condemning their properties in order to facilitate development of a retail shopping center.
- Defended corporation in multi-defendant, multimillion-dollar suit under the federal Superfund law related to alleged contamination of soil and groundwater by volatile organic compounds.
- Represented multiple private water utilities in the negotiation and sale of their assets and operations to municipal providers in lieu of condemnation, including obtaining approval for the transactions from the Arizona Corporation Commission.
- Represented one of the largest private utilities in Arizona in various rate cases proceedings, including the proceeding in which the Arizona Corporation Commission first approved the use of a surcharge for distribution system improvements.
- Represented investors and acquiring entities with due diligence related to mining claims and mineral interests on various power projects.
- Provided oversight of environmental diligence for the acquisition of multiple medical facilities and properties in multimillion-dollar transaction.
- Represented general contractor in contract dispute related to costs reasonably anticipated under design/build contract for major project.
- Represented numerous owners and developers in the negotiation of construction, engineering, and architecture agreements.
- Successfully represented the developer of a power plant and transmission line project seeking an extension of their required Certificate of Environmental Compatibility from the Arizona Corporation Commission.
Honors & Recognitions
- Best Lawyers in America, Environmental Law, 2021-2022
- Martindale-Hubbell, "AV/Preeminent Attorney" rating
- Firm News, 10/27/2021
- Honors & Recognitions, 08/19/2021
- Press Release, 08/20/2020
- Press Release, 01/10/2019
- Lewis Roca Blog, 12/20/2019
- Lewis Roca Blog, 09/16/2019,
- Lewis Roca Blog, 03/29/2019
- Firm News |  10/27/2021
- Honors & Recognitions |  08/19/2021
- Webinar |  06/29/2021