Ross Crown focuses his practice on government contracts and commercial litigation. Ross serves clients throughout the western region, with a particular emphasis on New Mexico and Colorado. He is an accomplished writer and speaker on professional subjects and is active in his community.
Ross’s government contracts practice consists of both transactional and litigation matters concerning federal and New Mexico state acquisitions. These services extend to every phase of the procurement process from the issuance of solicitations through award, contract administration, and termination or completion. His clients are contractors and subcontractors in a variety of industries, including aerospace, aviation, construction, directed energy, optics, nuclear research and development, and facility management, maintenance and security.
Ross's transactional services include consultation on contract proposals to government agencies. He makes use of his bid protest experience to help contractors prepare stronger responses to solicitations. This work consists of (1) drafting and organization of proposals, (2) adding value by formulating technical discriminators, (3) interpretation of statutes and regulations incorporated in solicitations, (4) analysis of proposed exceptions to solicitation requirements, (5) determining questions for the agency to clarify solicitation requirements, and (6) identifying possible grounds for bid protests. His practice also includes advice and drafting services concerning subcontracts, joint venture and teaming arrangements, protection of patent rights, CRADAs, and licensing agreements. He is available to evaluate rights and duties under government contracts and consult on compliance and training requirements.
Ross’s government contracts litigation practice includes prosecution and defense of bid protests, contract claims under the Contract Disputes Act and New Mexico Procurement Code, and disputes between prime contractors and subcontractors.
Ross serves as pro bono legal counsel to the Professional Aerospace Contractors Association of New Mexico (PACA), a trade association. He also writes a feature on government contracts law for each issue of the PACA Pulse, a quarterly newsletter.
Ross represents clients in commercial litigation matters in state and federal courts in New Mexico. His practice focuses on contract actions, construction disputes, professional liability, business torts, and insurance coverage/bad faith cases. He litigates at both trial and appellate levels.
More About Ross L. Crown
- J.D., University of Michigan Law School, 1982
- B.A., with honors, University of Michigan, 1979
- New Mexico, 1983
- New Mexico Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. District Court, District of New Mexico
- Great Southwest Council of the Boy Scouts of America, Immediate Past President of Board of Directors
- New Mexico Museum of Natural History Foundation, Former President of Board of Directors
- New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science, Former Member of Board of Trustees
- Albuquerque Speech Language & Hearing Center, Former President of Board of Directors
- Rotary Club of Albuquerque, Member
- Successfully defended management and operating contractor for Department of Energy national laboratory against claims of subcontractor arising from construction of laboratory facility.
- Pursued protest in Court of Federal Claims on behalf of educational services contractor obtaining reversal of award of $48 million in Army contracts for latent ambiguities in solicitation.
- Obtained dismissal of appeal of protest of award by multistate consortium of contract for language interpretation services.
- Represented major defense contractor in recovering monies from the Department of the Army in claim before the ASBCA arising from defective specifications for manufacture of laser weapons system.
- Recovered monies for construction contractor in claim against the Department of the Navy before the ASBCA arising from undisclosed site conditions in renovation of military family housing.
- Successfully defended subcontractor for Department of Energy national laboratory in whistleblower case brought before the DOE.
- Successfully defended New Mexico municipality in action brought by real estate developer in federal district court for alleged breach of multimillion-dollar land development agreement.
- Represented financial institution in lower court and appellate proceedings in case establishing New Mexico doctrine that release of surety not consented to by co-sureties triggers a pro rata, rather than a complete release of co-sureties.
Honors & Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America, "Construction Law and Government Contracts," 2016-2023; "Construction Law," 2024 "Lawyer of the Year, Construction Law," 2019, 2024
- Southwest Super Lawyers, Government Contracts
- Martindale-Hubbell, "AV/Preeminent Attorney" rating
- Silver Beaver – Awarded by the Boy Scouts of America for distinguished service to youth
- Honors & Recognitions, 08/17/2023
- Honors & Recognitions, 08/18/2022
- Honors & Recognitions, 08/19/2021
- Press Release, 08/20/2020
- Press Release, 08/15/2019
- Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie Lawyers Recognized as 2019 Southwest Super Lawyers® and Southwest Rising Stars®Honors & Recognitions, 04/15/2019
- Press Release, 08/15/2018
- Press Release, 08/15/2017
- Press Release, 02/14/2017
- Honors & Recognitions, 08/15/2016
- Author, PACA Pulse Winter 2023
- PACA Pulse, 12/2022,
- Court Finds Contractor’s Terms and Conditions Incorporated by Reference into GSA Schedule ContractPACA Pulse, 05/31/2022,
- Departure of Winning Bidder’s Key Person During Source Selection Requires Reevaluation of AwardPACA Pulse, 2/2022,
- Federal Circuit Clarifies When Claims Accrue Under the Contract Disputes ActPACA Pulse, 12/2021,
- PACA Pulse, 09/8/2021
- PACA Pulse, 06/22/2021
- PACA Pulse, 03/19/2021
- PACA Pulse, 12/1/2020
- PACA Pulse, 09/3/2020
- PACA Pulse, 06/12/2020
- PACA Pulse, 03/23/2020
- PACA Pulse, 12/2/2019
- PACA Pulse, 07/8/2019
- PACA Pulse, 03/1/2019
- PACA Pulse, 01/1/2019
- PACA Pulse, 11/29/2018
- Contract Management Magazine, published by the National Contract Management Association, 2018-09-01
- PACA Pulse, 08/1/2018
- PACA Pulse, Spring 2018, reprinted in NGO Financial Newsletter, 2018-08-01
- PACA Pulse, 02/15/2018
- Contractor May Pursue Claim for Violation of Implied Contractual Duty Even Where No Express Breach of Contract OccurredPACA Pulse, 01/1/2018
- PACA Pulse, 08/1/2017
- PACA Pulse, 06/12/2017
- PACA Pulse, 01/21/2017
- PACA Pulse, 09/1/2016
- Government Right to Extend Warranty Period by Demonstrating Latent DefectsPACA Pulse, 06/1/2016
- Department of Justice to Sharpen Focus on Individual Accountability for Corporate WrongdoingPACA Pulse, 03/1/2016
- Recovery Against the Government on an Implied ContractPACA Pulse, 01/1/2016
- Lewis Roca Blog, 03/22/2023
- Lewis Roca Blog, 12/20/2022,
- Lewis Roca Blog, 05/31/2022,
- Lewis Roca Blog, 02/23/2022,
- Lewis Roca Blog, 12/1/2021
- Lewis Roca Blog, 08/12/2021
- Lewis Roca Blog, 12/1/2020,
- Lewis Roca Blog, 09/14/2020
- Lewis Roca Blog, 06/15/2020,
- Honors & Recognitions |  08/17/2023
- Blog |  03/22/2023