Raymond guides technologically sophisticated companies and their investors on the identification, protection, and strategic use of intellectual property.
Raymond Tabandeh is a partner in Lewis Roca's Intellectual Property Practice Group. With extensive experience in domestic and international intellectual property law, multiple electrical engineering degrees, and an MBA, Raymond specializes in helping clients with cybersecurity and Internet IP law, including privacy and website policies, drafting of various license agreements, due diligence of intellectual property portfolios, freedom-to-operate opinion letters, and trademark prosecution and opposition.
Raymond also provides patent counseling, prosecution, and licensing for clients in the following fields: machine learning, artificial intelligence, computer software and hardware, IoTs and data and network security using various encryption/decryption methods and digital signatures, electronics, and telecommunications, blockchain technology, computer-based gaming, business methods counseling and protection of related intellectual property rights, and evaluation of emerging high technologies.
Prior to becoming a lawyer, Raymond was an engineering software manager and a senior hardware design engineer for Xerox Corporation. At K&R Investment Group, as a principal, he negotiated and structured deals, conducted due diligence and appraisals, and developed business plans, for acquisition of mid-size manufacturing companies. He was also a visiting lecturer in the School of Engineering at the University of California, Los Angeles.
Of the many factors that contribute to Raymond’s success, the most formidable determinant is the simplest: an exceptional work product. Clients trust his advice and recognize his ability to protect their resources and proactively anticipate threats. Raymond seamlessly blends his technical and legal knowledge and excellent case management style to help his clients protect their IP portfolios. His easy-going personality, straight talk, and infectious sense of humor have turned long-term clients into trusted friends.
After gaining multiple engineering degrees and technical experience, Raymond chose to pursue law to practice intellectual property law utilizing his significant experience in various technologies. Raymond is an avid skier in his free time and enjoys snowboarding, sailing, and motorcycle touring.
More About Raymond R. Tabandeh
- J.D., Loyola Law School, 1998
- M.B.A., University of Southern California, 1989
- Advanced Engineering Degree, Electrical Engineering, University of Southern California, 1987
- M.S., Electrical Engineering, University of California, Los Angeles, 1983
- B.S., Electrical Engineering, University of California, Los Angeles, 1981
- California, 1998
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- Pasadena Bar Association, Member
- Japan Business Association of Southern California, Member
- Glendale Bar Association, Member
- American and Los Angeles Intellectual Property Law Association, Member
- Procures and manages a significant patent portfolio for a large defense company related to radars, object recognition, artificial intelligence, and signal processing.
- Successfully enforced trademarks rights, obtained a favorable settlement and enabled the transfer the related domain name to a client.
- Prosecuted, negotiated, and sold a telecom patent relating to communication technology and, more particularly, to a self-synchronizing adaptive multistage receiver for wireless communication systems for a prominent telecom industry figure.
- Successfully appealed a patent case to Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences for cryptographic patent for Stamps.com pertaining to a secure network system for processing value-bearing items, such as postage, tickets, checks, coupons, and other transaction currency.
- Successfully prosecuted several patent applications for Kapsch TrafficCom Inc. pertaining to a method and system for automatically determining right of way for "smart cars," or cars equipped with "smart" mobile units, at intersections.
- Prosecuted and managed a portfolio of patent applications through issuance for Guardian ProStar, Inc. for GPS driven utility asset management and damage prevention technology.
- Alice Corp. Successfully prosecuted several software-related patent applications through issuance after being rejected as "Abstract Ideas," under Supreme Court decision in Alice Corp. case.
Honors & Recognitions
- Lawyers of Color, Inaugural Nation's Best, 2020
- Pasadena Magazine, Pasadena Top Attorneys, 2013
- Ray Tabandeh Named to Lawyers of Color Nation's Best 202012/21/2020
- Power Magazine, 01/29/2021,
- ProStar Geocorp Announces It Has Acquired the Domain Name Pointman.com as Part of a Trademark Dispute SettlementStreetInsider.com, 12/21/2020,
- Blockchains, Cryptocurrency See Rise in Patent ApplicationsLaw Week Colorado, 2017-10-01,
- Co-presenter, "Using Patents as a Sword and Shield: IP Basics for Business Growth Strategies," Glendale Tech Week, September 16, 2019
- Webinar |  06/29/2021
- Honors & Recognitions |  04/8/2021
- Insight |  01/29/2021