Along with her sharp intellect and keen sense of industry knowledge, Marla’s passion and competitive nature make her a valuable asset to her clients.
Marla Hudgens is a partner in the firm’s Litigation Practice Group. Marla is a litigator and also practices administrative and regulatory law. Marla actively practices in both Arizona and Nevada. She is also licensed to practice law in California.
As a litigator, Marla has tried cases before state and federal courts. She has extensive experience with complex discovery and procedural matters and is well-regarded by her clients and fellow lawyers for her strategic decision-making to both advance and settle disputes.
As an administrative law lawyer, Marla also has significant experience navigating regulatory matters through state and federal regulatory schemes. This includes handling utility rate cases, gaming matters, tax disputes, complex permitting, and liquor law issues. Within the liquor law context, Marla has represented all three tiers of the alcohol beverage industry, providing advice in primary source and franchise law disputes, along with other licensing, regulatory, and compliance matters.
Marla is also an esteemed member of the firm’s tribal affairs group. She regularly works on litigation and regulatory matters for tribes and other industry players working with tribes or litigating in tribal courts.
Marla is a proud member of the firm’s Sports, Entertainment, and Recreation Industry Group. As a lifetime soccer player, rock climber, and sports enthusiast, Marla is ultra-competitive and understands youth sports and the indoor and outdoor climbing worlds and the unique challenges these business owners and other stakeholders face. Within this niche, Marla offers creative solutions to difficult problems and regularly works with the firm’s intellectual property lawyers to safeguard and protect her clients’ valuable assets.
A legal chameleon, Marla adapts quickly depending on her clients’ needs, challenges, and strengths. She can be aggressive, personable, and analytical on demand and as appropriate. Most often, she is a combination of all three—swift and decisive, deliberate and thoughtful, and professional and credible.
As a life-long competitive soccer player and coach, Marla brings an athlete’s edge and composure to her legal practice. Still playing today, Marla travels to tournaments across the west coast and serves as a board member and director of Girls Club and Recreational Soccer for the Madison Futbol Club, a local soccer organization in urban Phoenix.
More About Marla J. Hudgens
- J.D., cum laude, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, William S. Boyd School of Law, 2008
- B.A., cum laude, Gonzaga University, 2004
- Arizona, 2015
- California, 2010
- Nevada, 2008
- Arizona Supreme Court
- Nevada Supreme Court
- California Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
- U.S. District Court, District of Nevada
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- Madison Futbol League, Board Member and Coach
- North Phoenix Lion's Club, President
- Arizona State Bar Environmental and Natural Resources Executive Council, Member at Large
- Arizona State Bar New Appointments Committee, Member
- Arizona State Bar Board of Governors' Special Constitutional Appointments Committee, Member
- Arizona Women's Leadership Forum, Board Member
- Maricopa County Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Clark County Bar Association, Member
- Appellate Section of the Nevada State Bar, Chair, 2014-2015
- Nevada Supreme Court Bench-Bar Committee, Appointed Member, 2013-2014
- Liaison Committee of the Appellate Section of Nevada State Bar, Co-chair, 2013-2014
- Bel Air Lighting, Inc. v. WMCV Phase 3, LLC et al. - Obtained a $0 defense verdict in a commercial leasing dispute alleging fraud.
- Park West Companies, Inc. v. Amazon Const. Corp. - Obtained the reversal of summary judgment order involving the sale of landscaping company.
- Marrocco v. Hall - Obtained an emergency writ of mandamus, expunging a lis pendens.
- Successfully obtained and defended on appeal a $20 million tax abatement.
Honors & Recognitions
- Mountain States Super Lawyers, "Rising Star," 2014-2018
- Nevada Business Magazine, Best Up and Coming, Legal Elite, 2014
- Nevada Supreme Court, Clerked for Justice James Hardesty
- CALI Awards, Civil Procedure and Federal Courts
- State Bar of Arizona Appoints Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie Attorney to Environmental & Natural Resources Law Section Executive CouncilPress Release, 06/25/2018
- Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie Lawyers Recognized as 2018 Mountain States Super Lawyers® and Mountain States Rising Stars®Honors & Recognitions, 06/11/2018
- Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie Lawyers Recognized as 2018 Southwest Super Lawyers® and Southwest Rising Stars®Honors & Recognitions, 04/23/2018
- Press Release, 04/4/2017
- Press Release, 01/3/2017
- Press Release, 07/21/2016
- Honors & Recognitions, 06/14/2016
- Press Release, 03/22/2016
- Clark County Bar Association"Communique", 11/1/2020,
- Lewis Roca Blog, 04/28/2020,
- Lewis Roca Blog, 04/1/2020,
- Lewis Roca Blog, 01/28/2020
- Presenter, "Making Your Passion Your Paycheck: Legal Issues for Entrepreneurs," Outdoor Industry Association Webinar, November 2017
- Webinar |  06/29/2021
- Honors & Recognitions |  04/8/2021
- Insight |  11/1/2020