Eric is thorough, detail-oriented, and resourceful. He doesn’t stop until he has achieved the best possible outcome for his clients.
Eric Kniffin is a partner in the firm’s Religious Institutions Industry Group. Eric's practice focuses on religious liberty cases in the trial and appellate levels, as well as commercial litigation matters. He has represented clients in high-profile religious liberty cases, including nationwide litigation challenging the Health and Human Services Mandate. He has also successfully represented the United States in three cases before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Before joining the firm, Eric worked as a trial lawyer for the United States Department of Justice practicing in the Civil Rights Division. He managed investigations of correctional facilities and police departments and brought enforcement actions for housing discrimination under the Fair Housing Act. Most recently, Eric served as legal counsel for The Becket Fund for Religious Liberty in Washington, D.C, where he represented clients in litigation at trial and in federal appellate courts.
Eric is a national expert in religious liberty and is a sought-after speaker and commenter on these issues.
Few can rival Eric’s in-depth knowledge of the various legal protections available to religious organizations. This knowledge coupled with his attention to detail and resourcefulness makes him one of his clients' greatest assets. Eric is sympathetic to his clients' needs understanding the nuances of their unique issues and finding proactive solutions quickly.
As a young boy, Eric aspired to be a cowboy or traffic cop. In college, his dreams evolved to focus on a career in academia leading him to complete degrees in philosophy and theology. After graduating, he quickly realized that he thrived in a more collaborative and deadline-driven environment so he applied to law school. Today, he can’t imagine ever doing anything else.
Eric takes advantage of any opportunity he can to get up to the mountains to ski with his family.
More About Eric N. Kniffin
- J.D., cum laude, University of Notre Dame Law School, 2003
- M.A., cum laude, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, 2000
- B.A., cum laude, Wheaton College, 1998
- Colorado, 2014
- Washington, D.C., 2011 (inactive)
- Illinois, 2004 (inactive)
- Illinois Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- United States Department of Justice, Honors Lawyer, 2005
- Tertio Millennio Seminar on the Free Society, Participant, 2003, Krakow, Poland
The Federalist Society, Contributor
Catholic Bar Association, Board Member
Honors & Recognitions
- United States District Court, Northern District of Indiana, Clerk for Judge Theresa L. Springmann
- Notre Dame Journal of Law, Ethics and Public Policy
- Press Release, 01/13/2020
- Lewis Roca Blog, 07/16/2020,
- Lewis Roca Blog, 04/10/2020,
- Presenter, "Little Sisters of the Poor v. Pennsylvania," The Federalist Society, July 2020
- Webinar |  06/29/2021
- Honors & Recognitions |  04/8/2021
- Webinar |  02/18/2021