Jeffrey Steffen focuses his practice in the areas of corporate law, commercial real estate, and construction law. Involved in multimillion-dollar real estate developments, significant corporate mergers and acquisitions, and finance transactions, Jeff offers specialized experience helping clients close large-scale commercial projects.
Jeff helps his clients negotiate and draft the full range of business contracts. His experience includes stock/asset purchase and sale agreements, licensing agreements, employment and independent contractor agreements, nondisclosure agreements, non-circumvention agreements, option agreements, franchise purchase and sale agreements, and settlement/release agreements. Additionally, Jeff has considerable experience in the drafting and negotiation of game development/intellectual property license agreements for land-based slot machines and online gaming.
Jeff advises clients regarding entity selection, formation and governance, including operating agreements, bylaws, and corporate resolutions. He also has experience with negotiation and preparation of mergers and acquisitions.
Jeff represents buyers and sellers in commercial real estate and development projects and has experience negotiating and drafting purchase and sale agreements, loan documents, and reviewing title and survey documents. In addition, he helps his landlord and tenant clients negotiate and draft residential and commercial leases. For his construction clients, Jeff assists with negotiating and drafting contracts on behalf of owners/developers, contractors and subcontractors. He has experience with custom documents, AIA documents, and ConsensusDOCS.
In addition to working in a law firm setting, Jeff also spent time acting as general counsel for a local private corporation, giving him a unique perspective that benefits many of his corporate clients.
Originally from Chicago, Illinois, Jeff received his B.A. from Northern Illinois University, and his J.D. from The John Marshall Law School - Chicago. He practiced law in Chicago for three years before moving to Las Vegas, Nevada.
In his free time, Jeff enjoys playing and watching sports, spending time with his dogs, amateur photography, and cooking in BBQ competitions. Jeff also enjoys his time spent as a volunteer with Golden Retriever Rescue of Southern Nevada.
More About Jeffrey J. Steffen
- J.D., The John Marshall Law School, Chicago
- B.A., Northern Illinois University
- Nevada, 2006
- Illinois, 2002
- Nevada Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Assisted slot machine game developer in the acquisition of intellectual property licenses for the development of themed slot machines, including but not limited to, a well-known science fiction brand, several hit television shows, successful poker players, and popular musicians.
- On behalf of a major casino and condominium management and resort development company, negotiated a series of management and other agreements with the owner of a $3.5 billion resort in the Bahamas which contains a boutique and luxury star branded hotel and residential components.
- Restructured $350 million in debt instruments for a major casino company.
- Prepared and negotiated a general contractor’s agreement on behalf of the owner/developer for a luxury condominium development project containing approximately 113 residential units.
- Participated in the acquisition and financing of a low-income housing project in Southern Nevada.
- Represented a developer of a 29-acre mixed-use community which includes high-rise time share/hotel, condominiums, and retail components.
- Negotiated, drafted and closed an asset purchase agreement involving a multimillion-dollar communication services company.
- Represented a client in multiple acquisitions of car dealerships.
- Represented a lender in connection with a $35 million loan used for the acquisition of a hotel and casino.
- Represented the seller in an $85 million asset sale, consisting primarily of intellectual property assets.
Honors & Recognitions
- Mountain States Super Lawyers, 2015-2019
- Nevada Business Magazine, Legal Elite, 2012, 2013, 2015
- Mountain States Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2012
- Lewis Roca Blog, 04/8/2020,
- Speaker, "Limited Liability Companies," National Business Institute, Las Vegas, December 2015
- Speaker, "LLCs: From Formation to Special Uses," National Business Institute, Reno and Las Vegas, December 2013
- Speaker, "What to do When a Developer or Lender Goes Bust?" Joint Division 9 and Division 12 Meeting at ABA Forum on the Construction Industry Annual Meeting, April 27, 2012
- Speaker, "Commercial Evictions in Nevada," Sterling Education Services, Las Vegas, June 29, 2010
- Speaker, "The Construction Contracts Program: Understanding and Negotiating the Clauses in the New Industry Form Document," ABA Forum on the Construction Industry, November 6, 2008
- Speaker, "Statutory Requirements/Restrictions and Owner’s Rights with Regard to Nevada’s Prompt Payment Statutes on Private Projects," ABA Forum on the Construction Industry, Division 12 - Owners and Lenders Teleconference, November 13, 2007
- Speaker, "Real Estate Purchase and Sale Transactions," Sterling Education Services, Las Vegas, September 2007
You May Also Like
- Blog |  04/8/2020
- Press Release |  06/3/2019