Constantine is known for his excellent client service, responsiveness, and tenacity.
Constantine Marantidis is a partner in Lewis Roca’s Intellectual Property Practice Group. With multiple degrees in aircraft and aeronautical engineering and engineering mechanics, Constantine is well-versed in serving clients in the field of aerospace as well as in diverse technologies. In fact, Constantine obtained patents for SpaceShipOne and for the Martin Jetpack.
Constantine manages significant patent portfolios for his clients and provides counseling on various patentability issues, including design-around issues and those stemming from the launch of new products in the marketplace. Publicly traded corporations, startups, and individual inventors turn to Constantine for his talent in supervising and managing intellectual property litigation, conducting post-grant proceedings, negotiating complex intellectual property licensing agreements, and securing their intellectual property rights.
Constantine represents clients in diverse technology areas, including aerospace, materials science, propulsion, medical devices, automotive, mechanical engineering, electro-mechanical engineering, life sciences, optics, nanotechnology, chemicals, oil, gas and energy, defense and security, and business methods.
Constantine is no stranger to being in charge. He is known for his persistent and direct approach to solving problems. By internalizing clients’ problems, and armed with a deep understanding of their goals, he finds strategic and effective ways to present the facts. Constantine has been recognized among his peers for his ability to close deals and present convincing arguments.
As a young man, Constantine had an interest in being a pilot. He decided to earn multiple degrees in aircraft and aeronautical engineering and became a fully rated pilot and a certified airframe and power plant mechanic. Constantine enjoys sailing in the Santa Monica, where he is a part of a sailing club and competes in races throughout the year.
More About Constantine Marantidis
- J.D., Loyola Law School, 1994
- M.S., Engineering Mechanics, Columbia University, 1988
- B.S., Aeronautical Engineering, Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, 1984
- B.S., Aircraft Engineering Technology, Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, 1984
- California, 1994
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- Loyola Law School Intellectual Property Focus Series, Chair, Events Advisory Committee
- Los Angeles Intellectual Property Law Association LAIPLA, Member
- USC Gould School of Law Intellectual Property Institute, Planning Committee, 2003-present
Obtained the patent for the Martin Jetpack, which Time magazine listed among the Top 50 inventions of the year in 2010. The Martin Jetpack has an engine driving twin ducted fans which produce sufficient thrust to lift the jetpack and a pilot in vertical takeoff and landing, enable sustained flight, and provide for superior control.
Prosecuted and overseas a worldwide patent portfolio directed to SpaceShipOne and to the hybrid rocket system used in SpaceShipOne. SpaceShipOne was then named '2004 Invention of the Year' by Time magazine as a part of its annual 'Coolest Invention' issue.'
Secured patent protection in the U.S. and internationally for optimum speed rotor and optimum speed tilt rotor technologies for Frontier Systems, Inc. The technology allows helicopters with fixed and tilt rotors to operate at fuel efficient power settings.
Obtained patent portfolios directed bits and materials used in the oil drilling industry.
Obtained multiple patents directed to above well drilling equipment.
U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
Skechers U.S.A., Inc., et al. v. New Star Shoes, Inc., et al., representing Defendants New Star Shoes, Inc., David Chiu, Peter Lin, and Luanliang – design patent infringement case with a successfully negotiated favorable settlement (2006).
Jobar International, Inc., et al. v. Juka Innovations Corporation, representing Plaintiffs Jobar International, Inc.; Dream Products Incorporated, Support Plus Holdings, Inc., and Penn L.L.C. - complaint for declaratory judgment for non-infringement, invalidity, and unenforceability of a design patent, copyrights, trade dress, and no unfair competition (case dismissed and continued in NY action) (2017).
Intellibrands, LLC, et al. v. Jobar International, Inc., representing Defendant Jobar International Inc. – (filed in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida/Transferred to U.S. District Court for the Central District of California) – patent and trademark infringement case with a successfully negotiated favorable settlement (2019).
RSA Protective Technologies, LLC v. Delta Scientific Corporation, representing Defendant Delta Scientific Corporation - patent infringement case (2019).
Meissner Filtration Products, Inc. v. Nordson Medical Corporation, representing Plaintiff Meissner Filtration Products, Inc. – patent infringement case with a successfully negotiated favorable settlement (2020).
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
Juka Innovations Corporation v. Jobar International, Inc.; Dream Products Inc.; Support Plus Holdings, Inc.; Nextera Media LLC (aka Penn LLC); and Pulse Direct, Inc. – representing Defendants in patent, copyright, and trademark infringement, and unfair competition case with a successfully negotiated settlement resulting to payment to client Defendant (2017).
- Lewis Roca Blog, 11/26/2018
- Lewis Roca Blog, 04/10/2018
- Lewis Roca Blog, 04/3/2018
Moderator, “The IP Year in Review: Patent Law, Trademark Law and Right of Publicity, and Copyright Law,” USC Intellectual Property Institute, Santa Monica, Calif., 2017
- Presenter, "Intellectual Property - Protecting and Enforcing for Business Advantage," Renaissance Executive Forums, 2015
- Co-presenter, “Get Your Trademark On!” American Marketing Association Trademark Game Show, 2015
- Presenter, "Intellectual Property and International Trade," World Trade Conference, 2014
- Moderator, "AIA Navigation Strategies," USC Intellectual Property Institute, 2013
- Co-presenter, "Obtaining Patent Rights on Smart Structures and Material Related Technologies," 1996
- Aerospace and Defense
- Fashion and Apparel
- Medical Devices
- Semiconductor and Materials Science
- Mining and Minerals
- Sports, Entertainment, and Recreation
- Aviation and Airlines
- Food and Beverage
- Manufacturing, Machinery, and Equipment
- Mining and Manufacturing
- Outdoor Recreation
- Transportation and Infrastructure
- Webinar |  06/29/2021
- Honors & Recognitions |  04/8/2021
- Blog |  11/26/2018