Bill provides his clients strategic and exceptional counsel regarding data protection and risk management.
Bill Nelson is a partner in the firm’s Securities Litigation Practice Group and the firm's Data Protection and Cybersecurity Practice Group. Bill's practice is concentrated in the area of securities litigation, securities arbitration and regulatory defense. He represents broker-dealers, registered investment advisors, and individual securities professionals. He has been involved in more than 400 arbitration proceedings, as counsel and as an arbitrator, before FINRA, NASD, and AAA. Bill has represented clients in injunctive cases in various courts involving non-competition and non-solicitation agreements. He has represented clients in investigation and enforcement actions before the SEC, FINRA, and various state regulators. He also represents businesses and employers in employment matters, including defending and enforcing restrictive covenants, wrongful termination issues, discrimination issues, and handling matters before the EEOC and its state counterparts.
Bill spent six years as associate general counsel to a New York Stock Exchange member firm where he had both legal and business responsibilities. He held various securities licenses, including registered representative, general securities principal, and branch office manager. He has also acted as an expert witness in securities arbitration matters.
Bill is a natural problem solver, and enjoys the diversity of all his clients and cases. With over 38 years of experience, Bill represents an array of clients and protects assets of professional investors, individual securities professionals, and more. Bill has the experience of working as an in-house attorney and has a keen sense on the special set of issues and obstacles they face. He is well-versed in the procedures and nuances behind effective litigation and is exceptionally focused on maximizing returns.
Bill appreciates the great Colorado outdoors and enjoys vegetable gardening. He also enjoys providing communication support during large community events and natural disasters as a volunteer HAM radio operator.
More About William D. Nelson
- J.D., University of Denver, Sturm College of Law, 1981
- B.A., with distinction, University of Colorado, Phi Beta Kappa, 1977
- Colorado, 1982
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- Colorado State Judicial District Courts
- Colorado Supreme Court
- Colorado Court of Appeals
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit, Law Clerk to the Honorable Jean S. Breitenstein, 1981-1982
- Colorado Springs Chamber of Commerce and EDC, Board of Directors, Member and Governance Committee Chairman
- Colorado Springs Downtown Rotary Club, Member
- Colorado Springs Military Affairs Council, Member
- Colorado Springs Pioneers Museum, Board of Directors, Member and Past President
- City of Colorado Springs Community Advancing Public Safety, Leadership Committee, Member and Past Chairman
- University of Colorado Foundation, Board of Trustees, Member
- 94th Flight Training Squadron, U.S. Air Force Academy, Honorary Commander
- THEATREWORKS University of Colorado at Colorado Springs, Advisory Board, Past President
- The Artist Series University of Colorado at Colorado Springs, Advisory Board, Member
- Colorado Springs Downtown Business Improvement District, Board of Directors, Past President
- Colorado Springs Downtown Partnership, Board of Directors, Member
- Fire Foundation of Colorado Springs, Board of Directors, Founder, Member and Past President
- The Colorado Springs School, Board of Trustees, Past Chairman
- Pikes Peak Amateur Radio Emergency Service
- Securities Litigation Commentator, Senior Contributing Editor
- Securities Arbitration Commentator, Board of Editors
- El Paso County Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association
- Congratulations to Bill Nelson, Honorary Commander for the 94th Flying Training Squadron at the US Air Force Academy for 2018-2020.Honors & Recognitions, 08/16/2018
- Honors & Recognitions, 01/19/2017
- Marriott Hack Shows Risks Of Lax Cyber Diligence In MergersLaw360, 12/3/2018,
- Law360, 11/1/2016,
- Virtual, 09/21/2021
- Webinar |  09/21/2021
- Webinar |  06/29/2021
- Honors & Recognitions |  04/8/2021