Rob is always present. He is committed to you and your matters and is available when you need him. He will find a solution.
Rob Charles is a partner and leader in the firm’s Bankruptcy and Creditors' Rights Practice Group, practicing throughout Arizona and Nevada. He represents clients in business bankruptcy cases, commercial lawsuits, and business transactions.
Rob works with secured and unsecured creditors, as well as debtors through complex Chapter 11 bankruptcy issues in all aspects of debtor/creditor relationships, workouts, and litigation. From sophisticated financial transactions through bankruptcy appeals, business leaders from finance and investment, technology, health care, and real estate trust Rob’s in-depth industry knowledge to inform the best bankruptcy strategies.
As fellow of the American College of Bankruptcy and University of Arizona College of Law Adjunct Professor teaching bankruptcy reorganization, Rob is recognized by the industry for the highest standards of leadership and experience in bankruptcy law.
Rob also advises clients in matters including the Uniform Commercial Code, with expertise in negotiable instruments, banking law, and secured transactions. He actively represents plaintiffs and defendants in civil and commercial litigation in the state and federal courts.
Rob is excellent at building client relationships. With modern communication methods creating impersonal interactions between lawyers and their clients, Rob prefers personal, genuine conversations and staying true to client commitments. Over the years clients have recognized his passion for developing relationships rather than focusing only on the problem or deal. Clients appreciate his personable and focused approach on the outcome the client needs, rather than on minutiae or distractions.
Rob’s cheerful and humorous approach to life is reflected in conversation and mood. When Rob is not in the office you can find him teaching at the University of Arizona, playing tennis, or spending quality time with his kids, grandkids, and pets.
More About Rob Charles
- J.D., with distinction, University of Arizona, James E. Rogers College of Law, 1982
- B.A., University of Arizona, 1979
- Nevada, 1998
- Arizona, 1982
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
- U.S. District Court, District of Nevada
- University of Arizona James E. Rogers College of Law, Professor of Practice, Business Reorganization in Bankruptcy, Introduction to Bankruptcy
- Arizona Foundation for Legal Services & Education, Top Pro Bono Attorneys in Arizona, 2020
- Facilitator, State Bar of Arizona Professionalism Course, October 2019
- American College of Bankruptcy, Board of Directors
- University of Arizona James E Rogers College of Law, Adjunct Professor, Business Reorganization in Bankruptcy
- United States District Court District of Arizona, Lawyer Representative, 2008-2011
- State Bar of Arizona Bankruptcy Section, Member and Past Chair, 1997-1998
- Business Bankruptcy Committee of the American Bar Association of Business Law, Member
- Conference Executive Committee, 2011-2015, U.S. Court of Appeals to the Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference
- State Bar of Arizona Rules of Professional Conduct Committee, Member, 2005-2007; Past Chair, 2004-2016
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Member
- Pima County Bar Association, Member
- Assisted an international investor with collection of secured and unsecured debt and resolution of ownership interests in a Las Vegas based FAA-certified airline.
- Represented a technology company in a Delaware Chapter 11 case resulting in confirmation of the Chapter 11 plan and consummation of the plan and sale of the company’s assets within one year.
- Representation of equipment lienholders in a southern Arizona hospital Chapter 11 case.
- Representation of a regional health care chain in the acquisition of an Arizona hospital via Chapter 11 plan.
- Representation of agricultural lenders in loan enforcement and modification, Chapter 11, and related litigation.
- Regular representation of state and national lenders in loan enforcement, real and personal property foreclosure, and other remedies.
- Represented an Arizona nonprofit corporation in the orderly dissolution of its mental health business, including shut down and transfer of programs, disposition of assets, and friendly foreclosure of its real estate.
- Regular representation of automobile dealer financing company in loan enforcement and bankruptcy cases, including adversary proceedings.
- Periodic representation of business entities in need of dissolution under Delaware corporate law.
- Regular representation of creditors in Nevada, Arizona, and other bankruptcy courts, in administrative cases, adversary proceedings, and appeals.
- Regular representation of plaintiffs and defendants in commercial litigation and bankruptcy matters in federal and state courts, primarily in Arizona and Nevada.
- Periodic representation of debtors and creditors committees in Arizona, Nevada, and other bankruptcy courts in all facets of bankruptcy court and appellate jurisdiction.
Honors & Recognitions
- American College of Bankruptcy, Fellow, 2007-present; Director, 2020-present
- Benchmark Litigation, "Local Litigation Star" in Arizona, 2014-2021
- The Best Lawyers in America, "Lawyer of the Year," Bankruptcy, Creditor/Debtor Rights Law, and Bankruptcy Litigation, Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2005-2021
- Lawdragon, Top 500 U.S. Bankruptcy and Restructuring Lawyers List, 2020
- Southwest Super Lawyers, Top 50 in Arizona, 2018; Bankruptcy: Business, 2007-2015, 2018-2021
- Mountain States Super Lawyers, Bankruptcy: Business, 2012-2020
- Arizona Business Magazine, Top 100 Lawyers, 2017, 2018
- Arizona Super Lawyers, Top 50, 2013-2015
- Vegas, Inc., Top Lawyer, Bankruptcy - Creditors, 2012
- AZ Business Magazine, Top Lawyers, Bankruptcy, 2010
- Super Lawyers Corporate Counsel, 2009-2010
- Martindale-Hubbell, "AV/Preeminent Attorney" Rating
- John P. Frank Pro Bono Awards Luncheon, Recognized for commitment, Pro bono service
- U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona
- Honors & Recognitions, 04/8/2021
- Press Release, 10/14/2020
- Press Release, 08/20/2020
- Lewis Roca Lawyers Recognized by The Arizona Bar Foundation for Their Pro Bono Services to the CommunityHonors & Recognitions, 07/13/2020
- Lewis Roca Lawyers Recognized as 2020 Mountain States Super Lawyers® and Mountain States Rising Stars®Press Release, 06/15/2020
- Honors & Recognitions, 04/6/2020
- Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie Attorneys Recognized as 2019 Mountain States Lawyers® and Mountain States Rising Stars®05/31/2019
- Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie Attorneys Recognized as 2019 Southwest Super Lawyers® and Southwest Rising Stars®04/15/2019
- Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie Attorneys Recognized as 2018 Mountain States Super Lawyers® and Mountain States Rising Stars®06/11/2018
- Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie Attorneys Recognized as 2018 Southwest Super Lawyers® and Southwest Rising Stars®04/23/2018
- Press Release, 08/15/2017
- Press Release, 04/4/2017
- Press Release, 2017-04-11
- Benchmark Litigation affirms ‘Highly Recommended' ranking for multiple Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie offices10/10/2016
- Press Release, 04/12/2016
- Press Release, 03/22/2016
- InBusiness Greater Phoenix, 02/1/2021,
- InBusiness, 04/23/2020,
- Nevada Bankers Association, 04/1/2018,
- American Bankruptcy Institute Journal, 01/1/2018,
- Section 362 - Automatic StayNorton Annual Survey of Bankruptcy Law, 11/15/2016,
- 2d: Chapter 14 - Sovereign ImmunityNorton Bankruptcy Law and Practice, 11/15/2016,
- Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie, 09/19/2016,
- Lewis Roca Blog, 05/21/2020
- How the Uniform Commercial Real Estate Receivership Act ("UCRERA") May Be An Option For Business Creditors Affected By the COVID-19 PandemicLewis Roca Blog, 04/22/2020,
- Lewis Roca Blog, 04/1/2020,
- Panelist, "Potential Bankruptcy Filings," Federal Bar Association, Phoenix and Tucson Chapters, January 2021
- Presenter, "Chapter 11 Open Forum," The 29th Annual Norton Bankruptcy Litigation Institute II, March 2017
- Presenter, "Ethics for Attorneys," NASBA Legal Counsel Conference, March 2013
- Presenter, "21st Century Ethics," American Bankruptcy Institute's 30th Annual Spring Meeting, April 2012
- Guest Presenter, "Ethical Morning at the Movies," State Bar of Arizona CLE, April 2012
- Presenter, "Litigation in Chapter 11 Cases," Norton Bankruptcy Litigation Seminar II, March 2012
- Presenter, "Ethical Issues," Norton Bankruptcy Litigation Seminar II, March 2012
- Presenter, "Bankruptcy Ethics Update," Mid-South Commercial Law Institute, December 2011
- Presenter, "Ethics," and "Chapter 11 Open Forum," Norton Las Vegas Bankruptcy Litigation II, April 2011
- Presenter, "Intellectual Property in Bankruptcy," and "BAPCPA's Actual Impact in Chapter 11 Cases," 37th Southeastern Bankruptcy Law Institute, April 2011
- Presenter, "Individual Chapter 11 Cases," Northwest Bankruptcy Law Institute, April 2011
- Presenter, "Revisiting Chapter 11 Sale Strategies," American Bankruptcy Institute Panel at Conference of Bankruptcy Judges, October 2010
You May Also Like
- Honors & Recognitions |  04/8/2021
- Insight |  02/1/2021
- Press Release |  10/14/2020