Michael Plachy is a member of the firm's Litigation Practice Group. With decades of legal experience, Mike has crafted his practice into representing companies and clients in civil lawsuits involving significant financial or reputational exposure. As a seasoned trial lawyer, Mike has successfully tried complex commercial matters, real estate dispute cases, construction, product liability, and class action cases.
Clients rely on Mike’s advice and legal expertise regarding corporate governance, risk management, and strategic planning issues. Mike’s broad experience as lead counsel in complex matters has resulted in his retention of many intuitional clients, both private and public corporations in various industries.
With a degree in business and finance, Mike offers his clients a multidimensional approach and subject knowledge when handling business litigation matters. Clients rely on his judgment to efficiently and successfully solve issues in or out of the courtroom. Mike is known for his candid communication style and genuine commitment to protecting clients and their reputations. He often becomes a trusted friend to the clients he counsels.
More About Michael D. Plachy
- J.D., University of Colorado Law School, Order of the Coif, 1992
- B.S., University of Colorado, 1988
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- Colorado State Judicial District Courts
- Colorado Court of Appeals
- Colorado Supreme Court
- Colorado Courts in the Community, Volunteer
- University of Colorado Cancer Center Advisory Board
- Race for Research, Co-Founder and Organizer, an annual charitable event that has raised more than $1 million for cancer research
- Judicial Nominating Commission 18th Judicial District, appointed by Governor, Attorney General, and Chief Justice of Colorado Supreme Court
- Colorado Commission on Higher Education, Commissioner, 2007-2010 to Colorado Commission on Higher Education, 2007-2010
- University of Colorado Foundation Board of Trustees
- Lead counsel for City and County of Denver in tax dispute against national online travel companies. Prevailed at trial, and ultimately affirmed by Colorado Supreme Court.
- Represented a hedge fund owner sued in a civil suit for sexual assault. Obtained a jury verdict in favor of his client. The verdict was affirmed by the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Obtained $22.6 million jury verdict and judgment against The Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company in the first homeowner lawsuit brought as a result of damages caused by Entran II hose.
- Lead trial counsel for defendant, a national apartment complex owner, in suit by hundreds of plaintiffs claiming exposure to toxic substances. Prevailed on all claims.
- Lead defense trial counsel in mass tort litigation against multinational escalator manufacturer. All claims resolved on terms favorable to client.
- Lead trial counsel for a national car rental company defending against an antitrust class action; summary judgment awarded in United States District Court; affirmed by the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals; certiorari denied by United States Supreme Court.
- Co-lead trial counsel for a multinational corporation in an employment action brought by a terminated employee. Summary judgment awarded in favor of employer on all claims.
- Lead trial counsel for a large healthcare provider in the arbitration of an employment dispute; favorable verdict on all claims.
- Lead regional trial counsel for large automobile brake manufacturer in numerous asbestos cases.
- Lead counsel for State of Colorado in Underground Storage Tank Cleanup Fund litigation against multinational defendants.
- Honeywell, Inc.
- KONE Inc.
- Baker Hughes Corp.
- Brinker International, Inc.
- Catholic Archdiocese of Denver
- Catholic Archdiocese of Philadelphia
- US Bank
- Dave & Busters, Inc.
- City & County of Denver, Colorado
- States of Colorado, Louisiana, and Nevada
- Estee Lauder
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Phoenix
Representative Reported Cases
- City and County of Denver v. Expedia, et.al., 2017 CO 32 (Colo. 2017)
- Dailey v. Hecht, No. 17-1409 (10th Cir. 2018)
- Amica Mut. Ins. Co. v. FirstBank of Boulder, 2010 WL 1250100 (Colo. App. 2010)
- ACLU v. City & County of Denver, 569 F. Supp. 1142 (D. Colo. 2008)
- Toth v. Gates Rubber Co., 216 F.3d 1088 (10th Cir. 2000)
- Union Ins. Co. v. Houtz, 883 P.2d 1057 (Colo. 1994)
- Vista Resorts, Inc. v. Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co., 117 P.3d 60 (Colo. App. 2004)
- Two Denver Highlands v. Stanley Structures, Inc., 12 P.3d 819 (Colo. App. 2002)
- Western Surety Co. v. Smith, 914 P.2d at 451 (Colo. App. 1995)
Honors & Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America, Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions - Defendants, 2019-2022
- Benchmark Litigation, "Local Litigation Star" in Colorado, 2016-2021
- Colorado Super Lawyers, Business Litigation, 2010-2021; Top 100 Lawyers, 2012
- Law Week Colorado, "Lawyer of the Year," 2008
- Press Release, 09/30/2021
- Honors & Recognitions, 08/19/2021
- Press Release, 03/9/2021
- Press Release, 10/14/2020
- Press Release, 08/20/2020
- Honors & Recognitions, 03/13/2020
- Honors & Recognitions, 11/5/2019
- Press Release, 08/15/2019
- Press Release, 04/2/2019
- Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie Lawyers Recognized as 2019 Colorado Super Lawyers® and Colorado Rising Stars®Honors & Recognitions, 03/18/2019
- Press Release, 08/15/2018
- Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie Announces New Leaders of Litigation and Intellectual Property Practice GroupsPress Release, 05/31/2018
- Press Release, 03/29/2018
- Honors & Recognitions, 02/23/2018
- Honors & Recognitions, 10/10/2017
- Honors & Recognitions, 03/16/2017
- Benchmark Litigation Affirms ‘Highly Recommended' Ranking for Multiple Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie OfficesHonors & Recognitions, 10/10/2016
- Honors & Recognitions, 03/15/2016
- Press Release |  09/30/2021
- Honors & Recognitions |  08/19/2021
- Webinar |  06/29/2021