Paul is committed to his clients and their business objectives. He offers well-balanced and reasoned advice.
Paul Matteoni, a partner in the firm’s Litigation Practice Group, focuses his practice on construction law and litigation, banking/regulatory matters, corporate disputes, and business litigation. Licensed in Nevada and California, Paul represents clients in state and federal courts in both jurisdictions.
Construction Law and Litigation
Paul represents a variety of developers, property owners, architects, general contractors, subcontractors, and material men.
- Significant experience in construction contracts (drafting and interpretation), prompt payment claims, delay claims, mechanics’ liens rights, construction defect actions, and related issues.
- Assists client with licensing issues and corresponding disputes.
- Representation of Clients before State and Federal Courts on a wide variety of construction disputes, plus representation before state regulatory agencies, including the Nevada State Contractors Board and Nevada Department of Administration.
- As founding president of the Construction Law Section of the State Bar of Nevada, Paul frequently lectures on construction issues at continuing professional education seminars addressing issues such as construction damages and mechanic's lien laws.
- Paul remains actively involved in the legislative process and provides various professional groups with regular Legislative Reviews. In this role, Paul tracks and analyzes proposed bills affecting the construction industry as they move through the legislative process and the overall effect of new statutory provisions.
Banking and Regulatory Litigation
Paul defends the interests of banks and other financial institutions at both the local and national levels. His experience includes:
- Defense against consumer claims and issues related to the application of the Uniform Commercial Code, serving as lead counsel in multiple trials and arbitrations.
- The defense and resolution of numerous high-dollar claims on behalf of banking clients.
- Creditor collection actions and loan defaults on behalf of various financial institutions.
- Defense of banks in national class action matters involving alleged fraudulent lending practices and wrongful foreclosure allegations.
Business and Commercial Litigation
Paul's commercial, business, and manufacturing clients are diverse in nature and include:
- Business litigation clients include various insurance companies, wholesale suppliers, and a variety of local and national business clients.
- Manufacturing clients include designers and developers of playground equipment, car/truck tires, and various other products.
- Experience includes debt collection and litigation of contract disputes across many areas of business.
Personal Injury Defense and Class Actions
Paul’s substantial experience in the defense of personal injury claims includes:
- Defense of numerous companies and insurance carriers involving claims for personal injuries and property damage.
- Defense of business entities from across the nation in complex litigation against multiparty matters with significant experience in the defense of class action claims.
Board of Governors/Nevada Bar Foundation
Paul is the Past President of the Board of Governors for the State Bar of Nevada. He completed his Presidency in the summer of 2020 after a decade on the Board serving the legal community of Nevada. He is most proud of his role and efforts in aiding in the science of jurisprudence and in the improvement of the administration of justice. The members of the Board of Governors work to promote reform in the law and in judicial procedure, to uphold and elevate the standards of honor, integrity, and courtesy in the legal profession, to encourage higher and better education for the membership in the profession, and to promote a spirit of cordiality and true friendship among the members of the State Bar. The Board of Governors is responsible for numerous duties and obligations, including the examination and admission of new members, discipline and oversight of its existing members, formulating and enforcing rules of professional conduct, the establishment and protection of client security funds, providing for legal periodicals for its members, and various additional duties.
Following his time on the Board of Governors, Paul was appointed as Trustee to the Nevada Bar Foundation (NBF). The primary role of the Board of Trustees is to oversee the NFB operations, including: management and investment of IOLTA funds and ensuring funds are used as designated; man agement and investment of IOLTA and non-IOLTA funding; establishing and maintaining relationships with Nevada’s financial institutions; strategic planning and resource development; and establishing policies and procedures consistent with the Foundation’s goals and objections.
Paul is known as an advisor who is willing to have the tough conversations, answer the hard questions, and address problematic issues. His clients appreciate that he is a huge proponent of the term "devil’s advocate." Based upon his years of experience, Paul finds it best practice to question the foundation of issues, as well as reasons why his clients desire to take certain approaches to a matter -- this helps both him and his clients understand underlying motives, business objectives, and to craft solutions accordingly. Clients benefit from his experience in handling multimillion-dollar claims, facilitating the development of major construction projects, addressing complex banking issues, and solving complicated corporate disputes and dissolutions. His ability to prioritize and effectively address issues guarantees a smooth process while ensuring his clients do not experience business interruptions.
Paul is an avid hunter and a fly fisher. As a young boy, Paul planned on playing shortstop for a major league baseball team (and he is still waiting for the call...!!)
More About Paul A. Matteoni
- J.D., Santa Clara University School of Law, 1988
- B.S., Santa Clara University, 1985
- California, 1989
- Nevada, 1988
- U.S. District Court, District of Nevada
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- State Bar of Nevada, President, 2019-2020; Executive Committee, 2016-2019
- State Bar of Nevada, Board of Governors, 2010-2020
- Nevada Bar Foundation – Trustee, 2020 - present
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Economic Dev. Authority of Western Nevada, Member
- Builders Association of Northern Nevada, Member
- Builders Association of Western Nevada, Member
- Reno-Sparks Chamber of Commerce, Member
- Partners in Education Mock Trial Program, Member
- Washoe County Bench-Bar Committee, Serves and is actively involved in the Court's implementation of new technology and the revisions to the Court's overall case management plan
- Washoe Legal Services, Volunteer
- Nevada Justice Association, Member
- American Association of Justice, Member
- American Bar Association Sections on Litigation and Construction, Member; Advisory Panel, Panelist
- State Bar of Nevada, Fee Dispute Committee, Member, 1998-2010
- National Italian-American Bar Association, Member
- Northern Nevada Attorney Disciplinary Board, Past Chair
- Construction Law Section of the State Bar of Nevada, Past President
Honors & Recognitions
- Nevada Business Magazine, Northern Nevada's Top Ranked Attorney, 2022
- The Best Lawyers in America, Construction Law, 2020-2022
- Mountain States Super Lawyers, Construction Litigation, 2019-2021
- Nevada Business Magazine, Northern Nevada's Legal Elite, 2010 "Top 25," Banking and Regulatory Litigation, Business and Commercial Litigation, and Construction Law and Litigation, 2013-2016, 2018-2021
- Legal Elite 2020 – Nevada Business Magazine, 6/1/2020
- Lewis Roca Lawyers Recognized as Legal Elite 2020 Nevada Business Magazine, 06/1/2020
- American Jurisprudence Award (Trusts), Santa Clara Law Review
- Lewis Roca Lawyers Recognized as Legal Elite 2020Nevada Business Magazine , 06/1/2020
- Honors & Recognitions, 08/19/2021
- Lewis Roca Announces 18 Lawyers Named 2021 Mountain States Super Lawyers® and Mountain States Rising Stars®Honors & Recognitions, 07/13/2021
- Press Release, 08/20/2020
- Lewis Roca Lawyers Recognized as 2020 Mountain States Super Lawyers® and Mountain States Rising Stars®Press Release, 06/15/2020
- Press Release, 08/15/2019
- Press Release, 07/11/2019
- Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie Attorneys Recognized as 2019 Mountain States Lawyers® and Mountain States Rising Stars®Honors & Recognitions, 05/31/2019
- Press Release, 08/22/2018
- Press Release, 07/17/2017
- Press Release, 06/7/2017
- Honors & Recognitions, 05/6/2016
- Constitutionality Of The Super Priority Lien Called Into QuestionNevada Bankers Association News Bulletin, 2016-04-01,
- Presenter – State Bar of Nevada (Construction Law Section) – Bi-Annual Legislative Update (2014 - present)
- Presenter – Association Defense Counsel (ADC) – Bi-Annual Legislative Update (2016 - present)
- Presenter, "Website Liability for Financial Institutions," Nevada Bankers Conference, June 2018
- Presenter, "Banking Litigation Risks," Community Banking Conference (Navigating the Winds of Change), October 2017
- Presenter, "Legislative Update - Construction Law Issues," State Bar of Nevada, September 2017
- Presenter, "2017 Construction Law Update," Nevada State Bar Annual Conference, June 2017, with Justice Mark Gibbons of the Nevada Supreme Court
- Presenter, “Construction Contracts and Law,” Southern Nevada Home Builders Association, November 2016
- Presenter, “Deconstructing AB 125: Changes to NRS Chapter 40 and Related Construction Statutes,” State Bar of Nevada, November 2015
- Speaker, “Another Tool in the Lawyer’s Tool Belt – 2015 Construction Case Law and Statutory Update,” 2015 State Bar of Nevada Annual Conference, July 2015
- Co-presenter, "Construction Case Law Update," State Bar of Nevada Annual Meeting, July 2013
- Co-presenter, "Construction Case Law Update," State Bar of Nevada Annual Meeting, June 2012
- Co-presenter, "Mechanics' Lien Law Update," Northern Nevada Builders Association, August 2011
- Co-presenter, "Construction Lien Law in Nevada," Lorman Educational Services, August 2010
- Co-presenter, "Construction Lien Law in Nevada," Lorman Educational Services, October 2008
- Co-presenter, "Construction Lien Law in Nevada," Lorman Educational Services, October 2007
- Honors & Recognitions |  08/19/2021
- Honors & Recognitions |  07/13/2021Lewis Roca Announces 18 Lawyers Named 2021 Mountain States Super Lawyers® and Mountain States Rising Stars®
- Webinar |  06/29/2021