Bill Mahaffey's practice focus is in the taxation, finance, corporate, and transactional areas. He has provided counsel on a wide range of tax sensitive matters.
More About H. William Mahaffey
- LL.M., New York University School of Law, 1981
- J.D., with honors, Brigham Young University, J. Reuben Clark Law School, 1980
- B.A., Colorado State University, 1977
- Colorado, 1982
- Colorado State Judicial District Courts
- Colorado Supreme Court
- Colorado Court of Appeals
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- American Housing Program Subcommittee, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Colorado Bar Association, Member
- Nonprofit organizations, including initial exemption determinations, joint ventures with for-profit organizations, unrelated business income, and various operations and employee benefit matters. Bill has developed particular emphasis in tax-exempt financing for exempt organizations, charter school financing, and the financing of low- and moderate-income housing programs offered by tax-exempt organizations.
- Mergers, acquisitions (taxable and tax-deferred), and reorganizations.
- Banking regulatory and finance issues, including financial accounting aspects associated with financial institution regulatory capitalization requirements.
- Corporate taxation, partnerships, and limited liability companies, including formation and operational issues.
- Compensation and fringe benefit matters, including qualified and nonqualified options, self-funded welfare benefit plans, and related matters
- ERISA-related matters, including leveraged and non-leveraged ESOPs, qualified plans, and advice to plan sponsors concerning fiduciary and plan administration issues.
- Estate and gift taxation planning.
- Assists in litigation in the Federal Tax Court and employee benefits litigation brought or maintained by plan participants or beneficiaries.
Honors & Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America, Tax Law, 2016-2022
- Chambers USA, Corporate/M&A, 2016
- Honors & Recognitions, 08/19/2021
- Press Release, 08/20/2020
- Press Release, 08/15/2019
- Press Release, 08/15/2018
- Press Release, 08/15/2017
- Honors & Recognitions, 08/15/2016
- Honors & Recognitions, 5/27/2016
- Beyond Wayfair: Implications For State and Foreign Taxes10/22/2018,
- Lewis Roca Blog, 03/31/2020
Bill regularly presents at a variety of professional speaking engagements. In the last year, he has made seminar presentations to lawyers and professionals on the following matters:
- Partnerships, limited liability companies, and limited liability partnerships
- Charitable organization taxation-unrelated business income taxation
- Charitable organization taxation-employee fringe benefit planning (including qualified plans, 403(b) plans, and 457 plans)
- Federal income tax aspects of divorce
- State sales and use tax, including taxation of interstate transactions
- Honors & Recognitions |  08/19/2021
- Webinar |  06/29/2021
- Honors & Recognitions |  04/8/2021