Jon has a well-earned reputation as a lawyer who clients can count on, judges trust, and other lawyers respect.
Jon is an experienced trial and appellate lawyer. As of counsel in the firm's Litigation Practice Group, he has a particular focus in the areas of professional liability, lawyer discipline, and complex business litigation.
Jon has successfully tried cases involving legal malpractice claims, commercial contract and real estate disputes, employee misconduct, and franchise/franchisor lawsuits. He also regularly represents clients in insurance litigation, religious institution litigation, director and officer liability litigation, and a variety of other complex business matters.
Jon has handled many appeals in state appellate courts and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. He frequently is brought in to assist in appeals of cases that were litigated by other lawyers at the trial court level.
Jon currently serves as a Judge Pro Tempore of the Arizona Superior Court in Maricopa County. Prior to joining the firm, he worked as a prosecutor and was first-chair lawyer in dozens of trials.
Jon regularly represents indigent clients on a pro bono basis and has received numerous awards for his pro bono work. He has been a part of teams that have succeeded in overturning convictions of multiple people who have been accused and convicted of crimes they did not commit, including American citizens wrongfully imprisoned abroad. He also is part of a nationwide network of lawyers working with college student Dreamers who face constant threats to their immigration status after being brought to this country when they were young children.
Clients know they can depend on Jon to navigate the most complex litigation issues. His calm, focused, even-handed approach serves clients well both inside and outside the courtroom.
As a child, Jon alternated between wanting to work at a car wash, open a hot dog stand on the beach, or catch for the Los Angeles Dodgers. Instead, he chose law, where his career as a litigator allows him to continually work with and learn from fascinating people.
A collector of political campaign memorabilia, Jon has campaign buttons for every major presidential candidate from each presidential election over the past 100 years.
More About Jon Weiss
- J.D., magna cum laude, Duke University School of Law, Order of the Coif, 1993
- B.A., cum laude, Pomona College, 1989
- Arizona, 1993
- Obtained a complete defense verdict in a legal malpractice trial in which the plaintiff alleged lawyer misconduct and sought $8 million.
- Obtained a complete defense verdict in a legal malpractice trial in which the plaintiff alleged the lawyer’s conduct fell below standard of care in a business buy-out.
- Obtained first known damages award in Arizona for a landlord seeking to recover lost value damages for breach of continuous operation provision in a commercial lease.
- Obtained complete dismissal of multimillion-dollar class action lawsuit alleging dental insurers violated racketeering laws and conspired to defraud dentists.
- Obtained complete dismissal of multimillion-dollar securities fraud lawsuit.
Honors & Recognitions
- Benchmark Litigation, "Local Litigation Star" in Arizona, 2014-2021
- The Best Lawyers in America - Lawyer of the Year, Litigation – Real Estate, 2021
- The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Aiken, S.C., Commercial Litigation, Real Estate Litigation and Legal Malpractice Law - Defendants, 2013-2021
- Southwest Super Lawyers, Professional Liability: Defense, 2011-2015, 2018-2019
- Martindale-Hubbell, "AV/Preeminent Attorney" rating
- U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona
- Press Release, 10/14/2020
- Press Release, 08/20/2020
- Honors & Recognitions, 04/6/2020
- Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie Attorneys Recognized as 2019 Southwest Super Lawyers® and Southwest Rising Stars®04/15/2019
- Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie Attorneys Recognized as 2018 Southwest Super Lawyers® and Southwest Rising Stars®04/23/2018
- Press Release, 08/15/2017
- Press Release, 2017-04-11
- Benchmark Litigation affirms ‘Highly Recommended' ranking for multiple Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie offices10/10/2016
- Press Release, 04/12/2016
You May Also Like
- Press Release |  10/14/2020
- Press Release |  08/20/2020
- Honors & Recognitions |  04/6/2020