John immerses himself into your industry, business, and transaction, he is quick to address problems and anticipate those that lie ahead.
John Rawicz is a partner in the firm’s Real Estate Practice Group with a focus on representing developers and equity investors in the development, acquisition, and disposition of all types of commercial real estate and institutional lenders in commercial loan transactions. In addition, John represents developers and lenders in renewable energy projects (solar and wind) and REITs in sale-leaseback transactions throughout the United States. Further, John has experience in the acquisition, sale, and financing of hotels throughout the United States and internationally, and he has represented lenders and developers in affordable housing projects located in the United States and the U.S. Virgin Islands financed with the syndication of low income housing tax credits issued under Section 42 of the Internal Revenue Code, tax-exempt bonds, and grants and loans issued by state and local governments.
Prior to joining the firm, John was a shareholder with the Miami, Florida office of Stearns Weaver Miller Weissler Alhadeff & Sitterson, P.A. While in law school, John was the managing editor for The Environmental Lawyer, a joint publication of The George Washington University Law School and the American Bar Association. He was also a legal intern to The Honorable Arthur Burnett, Sr., Superior Court for the District of Columbia, as well as for the United States Department of Justice, Antitrust Division and the United States Securities and Exchange Commission, Enforcement Division.
John is a fierce advocate who works tirelessly to advance his clients’ interests, he brings new perspective, speed, and precision when working with clients in complex and high-value transactions. Clients and colleagues alike admire John’s advocacy for collaboration. John is in the trenches with you, every step of the way, his commitment and thorough approach to matters guarantees an actionable plan with your best interest in mind.
During his undergraduate time at The University of Florida, he became a fan of college football, rooting for the Florida Gators. He is now an active member for the Fiesta Bowl Committee and has held various leadership positions within the Committee. John values time with family and enjoys travelling with his wife and twin daughters.
More About John M. Rawicz
- J.D., George Washington University Law School, 1997
- B.S.B.A., high honors, University of Florida, 1994
- Nevada, 2008
- Arizona, 2007
- Florida, 1997
- Fiesta Bowl Committee, Member
- Urban Land Institute Phoenix Arizona Chapter, Full Member, Past Chair of Arizona District Council Membership Committee
- Village of Key Biscayne Florida, Former Special Master
- Represented joint venture in obtaining financing in the aggregate amount of $224 million from various local institutional lenders and a $515.9 million loan facility from a Wall Street investment bank for the acquisition, rehabilitation, and conversion to condominium of 18 rental apartment complexes located throughout Florida, Arizona and Nevada.
- Represented institutional lender that was lead syndicator in a $186 million loan for the acquisition and construction of a luxury high rise condominium building containing one hundred eighty condominium units and a five star hotel.
- Represented institutional lender in making a $48 million loan for the acquisition of a private resort community in Florida and $130 million in loans for the construction of luxury buildings located within the resort.
- Represented developer in connection with approximately $80 million of construction financing for the development of three luxury high-rise condominium buildings in a luxury resort community in Florida.
- Represented institutional lender as Nevada local counsel in a $350 million financing for the renovation of one of the luxury hotel towers in a luxury casino campus on the Las Vegas Strip and the creation of an entertainment district also located on the Las Vegas Strip.
- Represented institutional lender in Arizona in a loan for the construction of a shopping center on land that was subleased by the borrower and a loan for the acquisition of an office complex in Washington where the borrower ground leased the land and owned the improvements on the land.
- Represented life insurance company in $44 million loan for the construction of an apartment complex in Texas and a $69 million loan secured by a portfolio of industrial properties in Arizona, California, and Nevada.
- Represented lender in making an acquisition and development loans in Arizona, Oregon, Texas, and Washington to create lots and infrastructure for single-family residential communities and revolving loans for the construction of single-family residences in such communities.
- Represented lender in the modification and assumption of a loan secured by the assuming borrower's inventory and receivables.
- Represented institutional lenders in structuring and finalizing forbearance agreements, in restructuring non-performing loans and in other types of loan modifications and workouts.
- Represented renewable energy developer in all real estate matters relating to the development of a 250 MW solar project on an approximately 2,700 acre site in Arizona, including related rights-of-way for necessary transmission line and obtaining a $1.45 billion loan guarantee from the Department of Energy.
- Represented renewable energy developer in negotiating a ground lease and renewable energy purchase agreement for the development of a large-scale solar project on land owned by an Arizona municipality.
- Represented renewable energy developer in acquiring options to purchase and option to lease over 1,100 acres of land in Arizona and California for the development of various solar projects.
- Represented owner and operator of hotels in all aspects of the development, acquisition, and disposition of hotel properties located throughout the United States, including the negotiation of joint venture agreements with equity partners and management agreements for hotel management.
- Represented developer of an 1,100 room beachfront casino resort in southeast Asia in negotiating a management agreement and technical services agreement with an internationally recognized hotel resort brand.
- Represented buyer of hotel casino in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Represented institutional lender in a $15 million construction loan for the development of a Cambria Suites hotel in Arizona.
- Represented institutional lender in the restructuring of a seven hotel portfolio loan.
Low Income Housing Tax Credits
- Represented developer in obtaining the proceeds of $8.2 million in tax-exempt bonds in connection with the acquisition and development of an affordable housing rental apartment complex in Florida.
- Represented developer in the syndication of approximately $40.5 million of low-income housing tax credits under Section 42 of the Internal Revenue Code for the development of an affordable housing rental apartment complex in the United States Virgin Islands.
- Represented institutional lender in making loans for the construction of an affordable housing project in Arizona that received an allocation of low income housing tax credits under Section 42 of the Internal Revenue Code and a Affordable Housing Program subsidy from the Federal Home Loan Bank, including the preparation of a intercreditor agreement.
Commercial Real Estate and Sale-Leaseback Transactions
- Represent national triple-net-sale-leaseback real estate investment trust (REIT) in single site and multiple property portfolio acquisition, disposition, leasing, and financing matters throughout the United States.
- Represented developer in all aspects of a two-phase acquisition of approximately 46 acres of land for the development of a s700-unit rental apartment complex in Florida.
- Represent real estate investment company in the acquisition and disposition of rental apartment complexes located throughout the United States.
- Represented Native American tribe in acquiring land, easements, and other rights needed for the development of a casino in Arizona.
- Represented landlord in negotiating lease with The Home Depot.
- Represented restaurant tenant in negotiating lease modification and resolving lease dispute with landlord.
Honors & Recognitions
- Chambers USA, Real Estate: Finance, 2021
- Fiesta Bowl, Chair of the Year, 2015
- South Florida Legal Guide, "Up and Comer," 2004-2006
- Martindale-Hubbell, "AV/Preeminent Attorney" rating
- Honors & Recognitions, 05/20/2021
- Webinar |  06/29/2021
- Honors & Recognitions |  05/20/2021
- Honors & Recognitions |  04/8/2021