David is conscientious about his work quality. His clients rely on his trial experience, trust his tactful approach, and benefit from his drive to win.
David McElhinney, partner in the firm’s Litigation and Labor and Employment practice groups, works with employers helping them anticipate, avoid, and resolve human resource workplace issues. During his 40 years of practice, David has offered his clients an experienced perspective and is able to help them decide whether litigation or settlement is the appropriate path to take to reach their business goals. He also advises clients on how to put legal measures in place now in order to avoid or minimize adverse risk or exposure in the future.
David has been first chair legal counsel in 50 jury trials to verdict in Nevada, California, and Colorado and countless bench trials, arbitrations, and mediations, and has had the pleasure of developing long-term working relationships with many of his clients, colleagues, and officers of the Court.
Successfully representing his clients’ business interests and litigation needs in both Nevada and California, David addresses legal matters including:
Americans with Disabilities Act, Title VII sexual discrimination and racial discrimination, retaliation and Uniform Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act
Family Medical Leave Act, non-compete and non-interference agreements, as well as a wide variety of other business and tort matters
David is known as a great communicator. Longtime clients enjoy working with him and appreciate his willingness to explain the legal process in a comprehensive way. When his clients face multiple obstacles and significant stress, David helps them see past their immediate difficulties and brings a long-term view, working to develop a strategy to protect their personal and professional interests. David’s refreshing candor and ability to manage difficult situations has created an excellent reputation among his peers.
As a young boy, David wanted to be a professional football player. After an unsuccessful tryout with the World Football League in the 70s, David entered law school and pursued his career as a litigator. Although he is no longer playing football, he still utilizes the drive and determination he acquired in sports to assist him with his wins in the courtroom. His clients benefit from his strategic thinking and drive to dominate.
More About David C. McElhinney
- J.D., University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, 1980
- B.A., cum laude, University of the Pacific, 1974
- Nevada, 1981
- California, 1980
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Nevada
- American Bar Association, Member
- Washoe County Bar Association, Mentor in TIP Program for New Attorneys
- Employment Law Alliance, Member, The World’s Largest Network of Labor and Employment Lawyers, Ranked in Chambers USA
Honors & Recognitions
- Benchmark Litigation, "Labor & Employment Star - West," 2018, 2019
- Mountain States Super Lawyers, Civil Litigation: Defense, 2013-2017
- Honors & Recognitions, 10/14/2020
- Honors & Recognitions, 11/5/2019
- Press Release, 05/8/2017
- Press Release, 04/4/2017
- Honors & Recognitions, 06/14/2016
- Lewis Roca Blog, 12/22/2020,
- Lewis Roca Blog, 12/18/2020,
- Presenter, "Dirty Litigation Tactics: How to Deal with the "Rambo" Litigator," National Business Institute, December 2012
- Co-presenter, "Employee Benefits: What Human Resources Representatives Should Know," Society for Human Resource Management, April 2012
- Presenter, "Health Care Legislative Update," 11th Annual Employment Law Beyond the Basics Seminar, October 2011
- Presenter, "Stay Connected in Reno," Lewis and Roca Client Seminars, 2009
- Webinar |  06/29/2021
- Honors & Recognitions |  04/8/2021
- Client Alert |  12/22/2020