Fred’s timely and thorough communications that allow clients to promptly assess case issues make him a trusted advisor.
"Is renowned for his work in an array of business and corporate litigation, with a focus on the representation of corporations and individual defendants in securities cases and government investigations." - Chambers USA
Fred Baumann's practice focuses on a variety of complex corporate and business litigation, including representation of individual and corporate defendants in class and derivative actions, including claims under federal and state securities laws, and in connection with government investigations, and representation of local and national corporate entities in contract, fraud, and other business litigation. He also represents lawyers and law firms in a variety of disputes, including claims for negligence and breach of other professional responsibilities. He has extensive experience in federal and state courts, as well as in arbitration and mediation of business disputes.
Clients appreciate Fred’s willingness and ability to proactively respond to their needs on a 24/7 basis. He works efficiently and prides himself on identifying the most appropriate overall strategies, and on working tirelessly to effectuate those strategies. Of course, there are times that strategies do not work as planned, or when circumstances require a mid-course correction. Fred prides himself on being proactive and, at times, "brutally honest" with his clients when a change needs to be made. He views his role as a true partner with the firm’s clients.
Fred and his wife enjoy traveling (at least before the pandemic), especially hiking and biking, most recently in Switzerland. As a Colorado resident, Fred enjoys biking, hiking, and golfing in the summer months, and skiing during winter.
More About Frederick J. Baumann
- J.D., New York University School of Law, 1979
- B.A., Williams College, 1976
- Colorado, 1980
- New York, 1980
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- Colorado State Judicial District Courts
- Colorado Court of Appeals
- Colorado Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- William E Doyle American Inn of Court, Master Barrister
- Colorado Access to Justice Commission, Vice Chair, 2007; Chair, 2008-present
- ACTL Colorado State Committee, Vice Chair, 2013-2014; Chair, 2014-2015
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado Committee on Conduct, Member, 1995-2005
- Legal Aid Foundation of Colorado, 1996-2002 Board of Directors, 2000-2001 Chair, 1996-2002
- Colorado Bar Foundation, Member
- American Bar Foundation, Member
- American Colorado and Denver Bar Associations, Member
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- Lead counsel for utility companies in connection with litigation over long-term gas purchase agreements.
- Lead counsel for international law firm in connection with claims arising from impaired lawyer conduct.
- Lead Colorado counsel for financial institution in connection with claims arising from dispute with mortgage service; judgment entered for client following state court bench trial, and claims resolved following appeals.
- Lead Colorado counsel for public REIT in connection with various securities class actions arising from merger; all claims dismissed and affirmed on appeal.
- Lead counsel for regional law firm in connection with multiple suits arising from conservation easement projects; all suits resolved.
- Lead counsel for foreign natural resource company in connection with claims arising from potential diamond mining project; state claims resolved following appeal in 2011, related federal claims resolved in 2017.
- Lead counsel for national law firm in connection with suit alleging aiding and abetting of client fraud; judgment entered for client following four week bench trial on a portion of claims, including breach of contract, negligence, and breach of fiduciary duties.
- Co-lead counsel for individual members of the board of directors of public telecommunications company in connection with securities, derivative, and other suits arising from restatements of financial statements; derivative, ERISA and securities class action suits settled.
- Lead counsel for former director charged with securities fraud, insider trading, and perjury arising from accounting irregularities at electronics manufacturing company; no-jail misdemeanor plea entered and case dismissed.
- Lead counsel for former CFO of public software development company in connection with class actions under federal securities laws, derivative claims, and SEC civil action arising from restatements of financial statements; derivative claims, securities claims, and SEC action.
- Lead trial counsel for broker-dealer in connection with unsuitability claims brought in federal court in New Mexico by county that invested in long-term "stripped" bonds; judgment entered for client at close of plaintiff's case.
- Lead trial counsel for bank in connection with claims arising from secured credit card marketing program; $1 million jury verdict in favor of client on counterclaim returned, affirmed on appeal, and paid.
- Lead trial counsel for software development company in connection with breach-of-contract and related claims involving transfer of software publishing agreement; $1.8 million jury verdict in favor of client returned, amended judgment affirmed on appeal and paid.
*Prior results do not guarantee or predict a similar outcome on future legal matters.
Honors & Recognitions
- 5280 [The Denver Magazine], Top Lawyers, 2015-2022
- The Best Lawyers in America - Lawyer of the Year, Bet-the-Company Litigation, 2015, 2021-2022
- The Best Lawyers in America, Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Litigation-Regulatory Enforcement (SEC, Telecom, Energy), and Litigation-Securities, 2005-2022
- Colorado Super Lawyers, Top 100 List, 2021-2022, Top Ten Ranking, 2012-2021; Business Liability, Professional Liability, 2006-2022
- Chambers USA, Litigation: General Commercial, White Collar Crime & Government Investigations, 2004-2022
- Benchmark Litigation, Local Litigation Star, 2016-2021
- The Legal Aid Foundation of Colorado, Award for exemplary support and outstanding leadership, 2011
- Seven Lewis Roca Lawyers Recognized as Denver's Top Lawyers 20215280 Magazine, 01/1/2021
- Fred Baumann Recognized as the 2019 People's Choice Best Commercial LitigatorLaw Week Colorado, 10/21/2019
- Honors & Recognitions, 06/1/2022
- Honors & Recognitions, 03/4/2022
- Press Release, 09/30/2021
- Honors & Recognitions, 08/19/2021
- Honors & Recognitions, 05/20/2021
- Press Release, 03/9/2021
- Press Release, 10/14/2020
- Press Release, 08/20/2020
- Press Release, 04/24/2020
- Honors & Recognitions, 03/13/2020
- Honors & Recognitions, 11/5/2019
- Press Release, 08/15/2019
- Honors & Recognitions, 04/25/2019
- Press Release, 04/2/2019
- Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie Lawyers Recognized as 2019 Colorado Super Lawyers® and Colorado Rising Stars®Honors & Recognitions, 03/18/2019
- Press Release, 08/15/2018
- Honors & Recognitions, 05/3/2018
- Press Release, 03/29/2018
- Honors & Recognitions, 02/23/2018
- Honors & Recognitions, 10/10/2017
- Press Release, 08/15/2017
- Honors & Recognitions, 05/31/2017
- Press Release, 04/4/2017
- Honors & Recognitions, 03/16/2017
- Honors & Recognitions, 02/6/2017
- Benchmark Litigation Affirms ‘Highly Recommended' Ranking for Multiple Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie OfficesHonors & Recognitions, 10/10/2016
- Honors & Recognitions, 08/15/2016
- Press Release, 06/21/2016
- Honors & Recognitions, 5/27/2016
- Press Release, 03/22/2016
- Honors & Recognitions, 03/15/2016
- Honors & Recognitions, 02/1/2016
- Colorado Lawyer, 2/2022,
- Panelist, "E-Discovery: Practical Answers to Your Toughest Questions," Litigation Section, Colorado Bar Association CLE, July 2019
- Presenter, "Demonstrative Aids: Law and Practical Tips," Winning at Trial, ACTL Colorado Chapter, November 2017
- Presenter, "Standing Up For Your Client: Who Is The Client And How To Protect The Privilege," 10th Annual Ethics Day, ACC Colorado, December 2016
- Panelist, "Should Attorneys Collaborate During the Discovery Process?" Faculty of Federal Advocates Annual CLE, December 2010
- Honors & Recognitions |  06/1/2022
- Honors & Recognitions |  03/4/2022
- Insight |  2/2022