"Possesses broad knowledge of trademark law and has a remarkable ability to quickly catch the essence of each case. She handles multijurisdictional conflicts very successfully and is an available, dedicated, creative lawyer and a true winner." - World Trademark Review 1000
Anne Aikman-Scalese is of counsel in the firm’s Intellectual Property Practice Group, assisting clients with a wide variety of commercial contracts, worldwide trademark registration strategy and prosecution, copyright protection, IP due diligence, and IP licensing transactions. She has experience handling global trademark portfolio management, enforcement, and dispute resolution, including TTAB proceedings, for the largest division of a Fortune 500 corporation, a federally recognized Indian tribe, and a popular resort with casino and entertainment venues, among others. Anne also handles various copyright matters for artists, authors, and Native American communities.
Anne served in leadership at the International Trademark Association for over 15 years. She has also been a speaker for the American Intellectual Property Law Association, the Practising Law Institute, and the World Intellectual Property Organization. A member of the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers’ IP Constituency since 2010 and former chair of the Generic Names Supporting Organization Standing Committee on Improvements, Anne is knowledgeable regarding various IP issues raised by the proliferation of unlimited top level domains. She has also served as an expert witness in federal trademark infringement litigation.
"Innovative, responsive, highly motivated, and customer focused, Anne is absolutely extraordinary – her mastery of trademark law is unique. She has outstanding attention to detail but also sees the bigger commercial picture."
- World Trademark Review 1000
"Domain-name virtuoso Anne Aikman-Scalese is another 'outstanding attorney – one of the best. She is a fast thinker who knows how to clearly identify and analyze the core issues facing a client. What’s more, she’s always available. The way she manages sophisticated trademark conflicts, including multi-jurisdictional ones, is remarkable.'" - World Trademark Review 1000
More About Anne Aikman-Scalese
- J.D., Indiana University, Maurer School of Law, 1978, Order of Barristers, National Moot Court
- B.A., cum laude, Indiana University, 1974, Phi Beta Kappa
- Arizona, 2005
- Ohio, 1978
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
- Advisory Board for the Center for Intellectual Property Research at Indiana University Maurer School of Law, Member
- International Trademark Association, Member, Former Member of Harmonization of Trademark Law and Practice Committee, Internet Committee, and Non-Traditional Marks Committee
- Native American Bar Association, Member
- Intellectual Property Constituency (IPC) Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), Member and Former IPC Primary Delegate to the Generic Names Supporting Organization (GNSO), Standing Committee on Improvements (SCI); Former Chair, GNSO SCI
- Arizona Bar eCommerce Committee, Former Executive Council Member
- Pima County Bar Association, Member
- Worldwide trademark clearance, prosecution, and portfolio management for the largest division of a Fortune 150 defense industry manufacturer, consulting as to various licensing matters.
- Management of a global defense industry IP dispute resulting in a favorable settlement achieved through mediation.
- Software copyright registration, acquisition, and licensing.
- Enforcement of IP rights against counterfeiters and infringers based in China.
- Drafting and filing of public comments concerning domain name matters in connection with ICANN’s new unlimited gTLDs on behalf of an independent agency of the US Government, filing of Objections at WIPO and the International Chamber of Commerce.
- Intellectual property counsel to a federally recognized Indian tribe, including trademark portfolio management, copyright clearance and registration for cultural manuals, and negotiation and protection of software rights.
- Management of U.S. and Mexican trademark portfolios for an Arizona casino with entertainment and restaurant operations.
- Trademark clearance, prosecution, and enforcement for a state university in Arizona.
- Protection and licensing of proprietary software developed for scheduling of public access television facilities.
- Copyright registration and enforcement resulting in recapture of unauthorized printed materials on behalf of a World War II museum.
- Trademark and copyright portfolio management for a mass market producer for the children's and "tween's" market, including enforcement of trade dress.
- Representation in Trademark Trial and Appeal Board proceedings as needed, including negotiation of numerous trademark consent and co-existence agreements. See more here
Honors & Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America, Trademark Law, 2018-2022
- World Trademark Review, WTR 1000, The World's Leading Trademark Professionals, 2019-2021
- Emmy Nomination, The Judge, Daytime Dramatic Series Team Writing, 1988
- The Order of Barristers, Indiana University School of Law, 1977
- Phi Beta Kappa, B.A. French Language and Literature, Indiana University, 1974
- Honors & Recognitions, 08/19/2021
- Press Release, 02/17/2021
- Press Release, 08/20/2020
- Honors & Recognitions, 02/13/2020
- Press Release, 08/15/2019
- Honors & Recognitions, 01/15/2019
- Press Release, 08/15/2018
- Press Release, 08/15/2017
- Trademark Protection in the New gTLD Environment: a Policy and Enforcement Deep DiveWorld Trademark Review, 2018-05-01,
- World Trademark Review Online Brand Enforcement, 02/23/2018,
- World Trademark Review, 2017-02-01,
- Trademark Holders May Face Greater Enforcement Risk - U.S. to Cede Control of Internet Contract on September 3009/21/2016,
- URS versus UDRP Proceedings – Choosing the Right ForumWorld Trademark Review Online Brand Enforcement, 02/1/2016,
- Lewis Roca Blog, 12/6/2019
- Speaker, "Intellectual Property and Copyright 101: How Do I Protect My Artistic Works?" Indiana Arts Commission Webinar, April 2020
- Speaker, "Tribal Rights and Remedies Under the Indian Arts and Crafts Act," Western Indian Gaming Conference, February 2020
- Moderator, "Hot Topics for Tribes in Intellectual Property Enforcement," Western Indian Gaming Conference, February 2020
- Speaker, "Music Licensing Society Agreements and Sovereign Immunity," Western Indian Gaming Conference, February 2019
- Moderator, "Hot Topics in Intellectual Property for Indian Tribes," Western Indian Gaming Conference, February 2018
- Speaker, "Preserving Cultural Heritage Using Copyright," Western Indian Gaming Conference, February 2018
- Panelist, "A Web of Infringement: An Interactive Panel Exploring the Enforcement and Protection of Trademarks and Copyrights Online -- Stayin' Alive: Enforcing Trademark Rights in the World of Unlimited Top Level Domains," American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA) Mid-Winter Institute, January 2015
- Speaker, "The Promises and Perils of e-TEAS Filing for Trademarks via the Madrid Protocol," State Bar of Arizona CLE, April 2014
- Speaker and Panelist, "Google and Apple: Mavericks or Monopolists?," State Bar of Arizona Annual Convention, June 2013
- Moderator, "The Road to Trademark Recovery: Enforcing Trademarks in the new gTLD Program," International Trademark Association Table Topic
- Guest Speaker, "Brand Recognition and Enforcement in the New Unlimited Top Level Domain Environment," University of Arizona Rogers College of Law, September 2012
- Moderator, "To Register or Not To Register, That is the Question: Getting Ready for ICANN's Trademark Clearinghouse," International Trademark Association Table Topic
- Speaker, "The Madrid System for the International Registration of Marks," World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) Seminar, Mexico City
- Co-Presenter, "How Do the New Top Level Domain Names Impact Your Business and Brand?," Lewis and Roca Webinar
- Speaker, "IP Issues in Web-based Business Start-Up," Arizona State Bar Annual Meeting
- Speaker, “Advanced Licensing,” PLI Seminar
- Moderator, "What's Not So Generic About the New Generic Top Level Domains?," International Trademark Association Table Topic
- Speaker and Co-Chair, “Trademark Aspects of Pharmaceutical and BioTech,” PLI Seminar (Replays of this seminar are available at the PLI website.)
- Speaker, "Federal Trademark Basics," Pima County Bar Association
- Honors & Recognitions |  08/19/2021
- Webinar |  06/29/2021
- Honors & Recognitions |  04/8/2021