Sam represents international, national, and local real estate lenders, developers, and owners in their business dealings.
Sam represents institutional and large lenders. Recent lender representation has centered on complex construction, mezzanine, and term loans, as well as ensuring that all potential environmental issues are addressed during the decision-making process. He has also recently represented lenders and users in workouts and deed-in-lieu transactions, and has drafted participation agreements and syndications.
Sam frequently represents developer clients acquiring raw land, forming development entities, interfacing with special and metro districts, and negotiating the sale of improved land to homebuilders. He also assists his clients in obtaining municipal and county approval of new projects and has appeared before planning commissioners, city councils, and county boards throughout the Front Range.
Sam has also represented major tenants and landlords in the preparation, review, and negotiation of retail and office leases, ranging from 2,000 to 400,000 square feet, as well as build-to-suit transactions.
Sam is experienced in the formation of various business entities necessary to successfully acquire and develop real property on behalf of his clients. He has created a partnership of three international companies to acquire and complete development of a $70 million multifamily complex and a $22 million apartment complex, both located in Lakewood, Colorado, as well as representing a client selling a $50 million shopping center in Denver, and approximately 2000 apartment units in Dallas and Houston, Texas. He represents developers in accumulating properties for commercial and office development.
Sam has represented numerous large corporations in their relocation and/or expansion efforts in Colorado, including identification of and negotiation for various forms of economic incentives made available by state, county, and municipal governments.
Finally, Sam has assisted wealthy clients in acquiring net operating losses, as well as utilizing public/private partnerships for development.
More About Robert S. "Sam" Arthur
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 1979
- B.A., Brown University, 1976
- Colorado, 1979
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- Colorado State Judicial District Courts
- Colorado Supreme Court
- Colorado Court of Appeals
- KBDITV Channel 12, Vice Chair, 1999-2001; Chair, 2008-2015
- National Association of Industrial and Office Parks and the International Council of Shopping Centers, Member
- Colorado Bar Association Real Estate Section Council, Board of Directors, 1995-1999
- Colorado Bar Association, Member
- Denver Bar Association, Member
- Leadership Albuquerque
Honors & Recognitions
- Colorado Super Lawyers - Real Estate, Banking, 2006-2019
- Chair of Lewis Roca's Real Estate Practice Group, 1989-2015
- September 1st Marks New Era for Developers and Lenders in the Colorado Residential Condominium MarketLewis Roca Rothgerber Christie LLP, 2017-07-27
Sam frequently writes and lectures for legal, business, and other organizations. His presentations include commercial real estate investing and leasing for the Colorado Bar Association; the impact of environmental laws and regulations on real estate transactions for the Masters of Tax Program at University of Denver; real estate and oil and gas issues for the Colorado Association of REALTORS®; real estate foreclosures, title insurance, and bankruptcies for the Colorado Association of Closers and numerous bank offices; and property acquisition and management techniques for groups of real estate developers and lenders. He co-authored the chapter on construction financing in an edition of Colorado Construction Law (2000).
You May Also Like
- 03/18/2019Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie Attorneys Recognized as 2019 Colorado Super Lawyers® and Colorado Rising Stars®
- Press Release |  03/29/2018
- Insight |  2017-07-27September 1st Marks New Era for Developers and Lenders in the Colorado Residential Condominium Market